Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Snowball effect

Needless to say this is not my usual crowd. At the G20 watching kids have punch on's with riot police (I mean those anarchists have a fucking deathwish) and perched on top of a rigged out army truck blasting dj dance sets to a crowd of those same kids having a rave.
I mean you gotta know you're doing something right when the police close down 8 square city blocks so you can have a meeting.
I mean I heard about someone talking about taxpayer money going to police to prevent people from expressing their opinion and even going so far as to protect private businesses but on the other hand it's probably much more expensive to pick up the bill for property damage so really I don't mind.
Here's a happy snap from the top of the truck.
janice didn't want me to say cuntfuck on tv.
I was meant to MC but the amount of trouble we had getting the truck into the protest, and I suspect a lot of liberally applied bullshit came out of trying to do the right thing and liaise with the cops, anyhoo moral of the story is our schedule got pushed back about 2.30 hours where a stroke of fortune meant we eventually got let in to chill out the crowd.
The angsty kids all followed us expecting us to I don't know plough through the police lines or something with the army truck and then drifted away when they realised were just going to dance.
For a first standup gig though I did pretty well with my one spot.
I gotta wonder though at the police officers A) when you pull over 1000 officers into 8 square city blocks where do those officers come from? B) these guys
hats to protect them from the sun
what are they thinking when they are facing down a line of 10 deep agressive anarchists. I mean let's get it straight behind them are riot police and behind them are police on horses, but basically that first line has to rely on pure disciplined intimidation to hold them back. Seconds after taking that photo I turned around and two guys ran with twix metre steel pipes and tried unsuccessfully to smash the ANZ baks windows, yet bizarly even after a chastizing from miki I felt perfectly safe, contrary to the news reports the violence was there to be had but it wasn't a full on riot or anything there was heaps of room for innocent bystanders, there was no way to get swept up in it all. Some individuals chose to turn up for a punch on and some turned up for peaceful protest, it can be said though that everyone who turned up wasn't happy with the G20 efforts thus far with the World Bank, IMF and WTO which I think they may be trying to reform into something even more ineffectual (like Bono and Bob Geldof). I gotta say I'm with the PM on that at least.
Fucking Baby Boomer fuckwits. At least we aint in China where they send the riot police in to disperse crowds celebrating their successful olympic bid.

No comments: