Monday, July 10, 2006

A Love that isn't Beautiful revisited... already

Last night as I drifted out of consciousness my housemate was watching an SBS documentary after he had already passed out of consciousness. As far as I could deduce it was about a homosexual kid taking on his catholic school to be able to bring a date of his choice to the prom. Powerful stuff.
But I think what I didn't address when I first wrote about homophobia is that many gay people are profoundly religious. Their religion makes them feel guilty and sinful for who they are. Angel an evangelist christian that use to pray for the souls of a couple of my friends once said 'I have a gay friend and he asked a priest about homosexuality and he was told that the orientation itself is not sinful but the practice, so my friend has decided not to practice.' it was meant as a gracious 'see Christianity does have something for everyone' but was properly summed up by my current housemate as 'incredibly sad'
This guy on the documentary said 'I believe in a god who loves everyone for who they are' then broke down crying and I think that says it all. As a godless, soulless individual I forget that some people not only have to deal with their parents inability to accept their lifestyle but also their god's who's supposed to be all benevolent and all powerful.
It's yet another issue religions have to address as Gods become less and less impressive every day. If people have better attitudes generally than god, god's going to go from a someone to a noone very quickly (speaking in terms of centuries) meanwhile the Beatles popularity lives on.

No comments: