Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Superstition

Friday the 13th has been and goned and apparantly it was a big one. If you summed the date 13102006 it adds up to 13 which in turn adds up to 4. I had a pretty damn fucktackular day on friday though, which must have means it was a shitty day for my enemies. I mean one man's good fortune is another man's misfortune right?
Around this time 4 years ago I read my last horroscope. The Mx horoscope and I still blame it for my failed relationship with Chantelle.
It said 'Libra: tomorrow someone you know will rip out your heart and feed it to you' anyway some shit like that. I mean in the end you can't blame a horoscope it's not a cause but a prediction right?
Except Chan believed in the Mx horoscopes and I'm pretty sure her's said 'Aquarius: time for change' or 'dump your boyfriend' or some shit. So yeah horoscopes are fun.
It's a phenomena called confirmation bias though, when there's risk involved in any activity people try to 'solve' the activity, come up with a system or pattern to effectively eliminate the risk. However if the activity is random or just plane out of your control your attempts to make patterns create superstition.
Bad shit happens to you every day not just on Friday the 13th infact I've never heard of anyone having one of their particulalry bad days on friday the 13th.
But you know it's funny I had to actively combat superstition the last time I got dumped like the day after a spinach based curry.
I found myself doing all the 'I can't wear those underwear, things get worse when I wear those' and for me particularly it was always 'tuesday is always a bad day' and 'thurday is always a good day' a superstitious cycle I only broke three months ago through concerted self talk.
Fucking brain trauma, it fucks you up. I wish I'd done something interest with my new found superstition like ritual goat sacrifices. But instead I just dreaded tuesday's (a sensible day to dread) and woke up full of golden happiness on thursdays (yeah who knows why).

No comments: