Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hobo Snobbery

So I caught up with Marc after yet again too long last night. He had such a firm handshake I hadn't realised how limp wristed and pussy like mine had become. Everyone is tan far too early in the summer sequence for my liking but marc looked great.
Yet another of those opportunities to appreciate how different I am from my father. I was telling marc about my parents over reaction to my going to quaker meetings. Dad thought I'd been sucked inot christianity through some cult like manouvre and had lost my mind.
It's incredibly hard to explain non creedal to people in practice. We also talked about the different cultures we'd come across. Marc is living back with the solesian brothers and I don't know much about them except in the old days they used to train up orphans into trades but I got nno idea what they do now but he said his lifestyle had changed from a very independant lifestyle to constant community coupled with diverse ages and diverse cultures. In the mix. On the question of whether he was getting support from his friends he said it was mixed.
And you know in coping with change there's going to be those that can accept change and support it actively but sadly the majority are conservative. And to reenter the priesthood after 20 years is probably not a widely respected move in anyones book. But Marc is truly a great guy, I could only fault his plan on being sorry to lose him from the general community to help out a small community. But still that's part of who he is and I respect that.
I'll support marc. Cept he doesn't need me for much apart from running basketball and occasionally bike riding. But conversation wise and whatever wisdom and experience I have to offer.
Like my incapacity to comprehend the Malaysian equation. More and more I read harvard's blog which claims to be 51% bullshit, 23% crazy, 25% offensive, and maybe 2% truth but I've never found a single child fucking werribee rape tape thing on it that is offensive. I haven't really even seen anything crazy apart from other people's sites he has linked to it. Not to criticize Harvard's lifestyle or anything but if I went to malaysia being pretty cut and dry would they be like 'You are 78% offensive' force me into some tommy hilfiger, boat shoes and put gel in my hair and send me shopping?
I don't want to sound like hitler or anything but Harvard being an exceptional Malaysian and pretty cool guy by comparison I've never been able to figure out why they are even alive.
Which leads me to the conclusion that I have to go there and check it out, chizmolak in the local culture and soak it up, that way I can learn why the distinct need to be as consumerist and hollow as possible, to hang around 'hot chicks' that you can never touch and be a pretty frustrated nerd and spend ridiculous money on everything bar food with which you can pay $2 for a massive pepper steak.
I mean on Top Gear once they said 'We were trying to think of something cool from Ausralia.' and they couldn't so you know it obviously effects more countries but one. I mean what is cool from Malaysia?

No comments: