Thursday, June 22, 2006

One Piece

This month has been huge, and with no way to tell if anyone even reads my blog anymore I figure I'll just plough on and keep posting it may as well be a repository of thoughts for when I'm dead. Maybe someday AI will have reached a point where they can recreate me from blog postings (but why?).
Like most intelligent people in the working world, I watch TV while eating breakfast. I turn it on. Because of who my housemates are it's normally on sbs. Gone are the days were I actually flicked through the channels. Because I know it will be pandering dumbass koschie and co or worse the channel 9 imitations on Today. So I just flick one channel down to ten and watch Toasted TV. The presenters have more appeal and ironically a cartoon of such scope that it has become one of my primary inspirations of late. There is almost nothing I look forward to more than One Piece on a day to day basis. It's like Italian films versus American. I've watched very few of them but the humour, humanity, sensitivity and imagination pants American blockbusters much like the Italy v US match in the world cup.
One Piece is highly sophisticated, sensitive, colourful, creative, fantasmagorical(?) and most of all moving.
It revolves around one central axis as well - dreams. Monkey D Luffy is simultaneously naive and disoriented but is the toughest adversary on the 'grand line' and just wants to be king of the pirates. If you want to get a better grasp of the plotline look it up on Wikipedia.
But the fearlessness Luffy throws himself with complete self abandon at his big dreams I think is what gets to me the most. Gets to me as in the show becomes a vehicle that can deliver more satisfaction than anything else in the morning (you can tell I don't get laid much can't you?)
I've had a tendancy to dream big and live small. But at the same time have to take into account Hofstadter's law: 'It will take longer than you thought even when you take into account Hofstadter's law'
but recently and I thought I'd share this with you I've been feeling a terrible momentum behind me. It's almost snuck up on me by surprise in almost every way I feel like I am starting to slide, lose control in that wonderful way like when you go skiing (I don't intend to make any class division) or start riding a bike. I feel like I am coming into my own, if I can do something for you just ask.

No comments: