Thursday, December 20, 2007

drinking beer and going out to clubs (what to do? what to do?)

The people that are ticking me off are the least likely to read this, which I guess is ineffective communication. However this blog is about disclosure, not really communication. It's not a two way sharing of ideas.
But I love getting an email from some friend that has thought of me, after two months of not playing an active role in my life. What is always a bitter source of dissapointment though, are well wishes that just totally aren't me 'hope your drinking heaps of beer' 'hope your getting laid by hot ladies' and 'hope you are going out partying' sort of shit.
I know I should read them as the simpler and much more effective sentiment of 'I hope you are having a good time' that is a remarkably effective thing to do. But I hate when people have a guess at what I would think a good time is, and get it so totally wrong.
If I was into hyperbola-y?-i? I would call it a mild form of racism, but what I think is that I am getting painted by the brush, if I had to name such a brush I would call it the parfet brush. Parfet because of the Shrek Donkey reference 'everybody loves parfet!' I would be tempted to call it the beach brush from my own experiences, because my experience is such that everybody I know just about does love parfet. What happened to me as a child was that my parents subscribed to a theory that 'everybody loves the beach' which just wasn't true, I didn't love the beach, because I'd rather play a video game indoors than go outside to the beach. It was just a personal preference, over several years I learned to love the beach, for its natural wonder, for its therapuetic sensations, for its romance. But as a kid I think I rightly associated it with a long car-ride, Janice employing a cheapskate approach to launch meaning soggy sandwhiches or a meat pie cut in half. Sunscreen, walking on hot pavement, and getting creamed by some rough surf. There was enough annoying hassle there as to make it not worthwhile, it was only when I got old and independant enough to decide to wander down to the beach when I wanted, swim as long as I wanted and buy what I wanted for lunch and to go with whom I wanted that going to the beach became great.
Which is completely divergent, what is the point is that in life there is an inexhaustable list created by people with extroverted personalities that highlight the weakness of extraverts which is the 'everybody loves...' list. As such I really know when people hope I'm doing the kind of social, rowdy and expensive activities they enjoy, it is purely a result of their own point of reference.
But it does display a lack of empathy. I know from experience that I can be quite the 'wet blanket' as well, which now that I think about it is a funny statement, but here's the things from those lists that I do not enjoy, or can only enjoy with concentrated effort.

drinking
nightclubs
shopping
big parties
randomly hooking up
group tours
structured activity
gala luncheons

I know roughly half the world would look at that list and say, this is precisely what I enjoy the most, what kind of loser doesn't like those.
Well its true, the thing about extraverts is that they are sociable and group together, so they can pass off their own pleasures as universal, when compared to a disparate group of introverts who are defined precisely by their difficulty to connect.
Introverts like the particular loser activities

reading
small discussion groups
study
problem solving
observing
endurance exercise
gardening

I don't like gardening for the record, because I hate the sensation of soil on my hands. But these activities fill me with energy, I also love playing basketball which is highly social, its much more effortless for me to make friends in the context of playing a game than in the context of having to actually talk to them, simply because I find it exhausting.
But introverts aren't losers, through reading they tend to outperform in not just technical professions, but if they learn how to modify their behaviour to adopt the effective habits of extroverts, tend to be more commonly leaders, and also of course comedians and actors. The 'recluse' is the archetype comedian or actor. The person that can get up on a stage and be loved by everyone in the room, but then doesn't like people recognising them in the street.
So that being said, I am an introvert, and I can tell you, just like being a so called 'creative' its pretty hard when the majority tell you, or at least act like there is something wrong with you.
But that too aint the point, the point is that to me, it seems insulting (my initial reaction) when people 'hope' that I am doing the exact kind of regular friday night activities that I could be doing at home.
for example this seems logical to me:

instead of saying 'I hope you are having a cool beer down at your local' (what one might do in Australia)

try 'I hope you are engaging in mystical ninja espionage' (since I'm in Japan)

And whilst it is true that I do want to play basketball in every country I travel too, this is because for me its a good way to meet people, which kind of means that I can appreciate that nightclubbing, having a beer, etc might be to some people precisely that purpose, except it is never expressed as such it is expressed that intrinsicly sitting in a pub with a beer is a good time.
I also can appreciate that for someone who has never been out of the country like my Grandma, and if they had the opportunity would probably choose to go to England, because it is like Australia is 'supposed to be' although with their environmental policies I am lately inclined to agree, that it is almost impossible for people to know what it is one does do in a foreign country, and so use the local frame of reference.
But I approach travel as a learning experience, or simply the act of 'seeing the world' and whilst on surface one could say I appear strong not seeking comfort foods or getting homesick (I have missed proper bball courts, my housemate calling me fucknuts and that is just about it) you know, whilst I see heaps of relative disadvantages to being Japanese as opposed to Australia, I'm not tempted to either believe Australia and by extention Australians are inherantly better people, but instead simply see Japan as a stand alone nation. And in reality I've probably been agregately in Japan too long now to simply be wowzered, like I no doubt will be in China, a place where I can't speak the language, am in incredibly rich and have never set foot on before.
Anyhoo why can't 'seeing the world be enough' why do I have to get trashed in every country, why do I have to be clubbing all night. If I quit my job in Australia to drink and party for 8 months in Australia, people would think I was a loser, not a winner. Why does my geographic absense suddenly make such behaviour okay?
I'm out here to learn, thats what I do.
So if you want to be nice and email me, don't guess at familiarity, people who are familiar with me call me 'fucknuts' and ask me about basketball or work. If in doubt stick to 'I hope you are enjoying yourself'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a fucken fag. Seriously.

ohminous_t said...

right back at ya' big boy