Monday, December 17, 2007

Corrections on Time Management and shit

I was listening to a managerial podcast this morning and they said something that reminded me to clarify some things about one of my previous posts.

Firstly the object of working smart and not hard is to achieve more, not less. Whilst I describe myself as lazy, this is in reference to my overwhelming desire to conserve energy, not to actually enjoy the lifestyle of a bored stoner.
Also I would like to clarify that it is inevitable that in a working day, not everything will get done, this does not however justify overtime, some things that can be done, or even may possibly help out the business, are not the best choice to do.
There is no way to do everything. It's the law of diminishing returns in principle. Staying back to do some extra little thing that helps someone out in a nigh on insignificant way, is much less valuable than going home and getting yourself into a good mental mode to tackle the next day, it makes most people far more productive. Also making a choice about what tasks to actually tackle make one more likely to choose to do the important things, rather than getting 1000 small tasks that don't really contribute anything significant to the organisation done in a 14 hour day.
The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people that if you pulled them out of the machine, the machine would collapse in on itself, there are far more people though that have never really achieved any of the big priorities that populate most organisations around the world that if someone removed from the machine, it would probably actually run better, smoother and faster.
I think the major obstacle is simply that 8 hours is a long and rigid time allocation for work, similar to the remarkably convenient phenomena that every subject of higher level study takes exactly thirteen weeks to teach anybody with 3 contact hours a week, isn't that amazing, every single subject of knowledge.
What I refer to is that most people's office hours are set to enjoy the benifits of simple standardization, but little thought goes into how many hours are actually required per job. So you see I percieve one area of time management that is little addressed is people who are actually afraid of becoming more efficient at their core duties, because this will create free time in their work day, or as I described it earlier, a fear of boredom.

I watched a lot of NBA on the net at Honda, but my hands were genuinely full. I spent time watching NBA because it gave me an important mental break, a chance to punctuate between tasks, and when there wasn't any interesting games on, it prompted me to seek out new entertainment through aquiring new duties.
Fact is I spent probably on average 45 minutes a day talking to a trainer, and this made me super efficient, not just with my development, but with time spent on office meetings, office politics, projects, training etc. Which turned out to be the best way to productively spend my time, in learning. That should serve as a lesson for all those managers and employees that say stupid things like "I don't have time to do all this training" gotta spend time to make time.

Lastly I still believe spending less time not more at the office is competitive, provided it is spent productively, a person with a diversely balanced lifestyle will outperform someone who keeps going to the same office for inspiration.

No comments: