Thursday, August 21, 2008

Yes, these are the Garage Days

I decided it was time for a change, my travels are over and I have settled into a form of temporary impermanence in my life. That is to say, I now live in a garage. It is kind of depressing, it pretty much puts the kaibosh or however the fuck its spelt on a lovelife, and at the same time I'm pretty sure with most of my ex-girlfriends this lifestyle decision of mine would have led to pretty big arguments.
Fortuitously they aren't around anymore, and here frankly is the upside:

1. A new sense of focus

Living in the garage does not shout out 'winner' in my or anyone's minds, and I know that one of the chief drawbacks of living with one's parents is that it creates a security blanket that leads to procrastination. Hence a lot of people like my brother let years of their lives fly by without achieving anything because there's no rent to pay and no risk. I badly don't want this to happen to me, so being homeless puts things in sharp contrast.

2. jump rope

Overnight, my main source of entertainment went from the powerful computer/television combo and my budding insatiable appetite for more movies, more tv shows and more entertainment all round. And whilst most olympic events hardly qualify as entertainment, and the ones that do are either over so quickly (100m sprint) or so one sided (USA vs any other team in the basketball) that the olympics is infact becoming more and more like a highschool athletics meet. But exit television and computer (I have to go into RMIT to update this blog now) and enter jump rope. I wonder what happened to that jump rope for heart competition? at anyrate after a month of Garage Days my heart should be in fine condition. I make a game out of it, pick an album on my ipod and then try and see how long I can jump rope for.

3. No need for an alarm

Yes every morning I am generally woken up by the numerous noises around me. Some of these I know will fade over time like when the trams start running again in the morning. But others are probably not going to ever go away, like when my dad kickstarts his harley. This morning was amusing because he was considerate and rolled it out of the garage before starting it, but then I had to listen to him trying to start it for close to 15 minutes due to the uneven ground outside the garage port.

4. Solidarity

Being homeless, or maybe just psuedo yuppie homeless gives me a greater sense of connection with the socially dissaffected people of the world, or those living in abject poverty. Except I get a bathroom, and these people would probably resent me throwing away all the opportunities I had handed to me on a silver platter that were won for me by long dead ancestors who dispossessed indigenous people and used state sanctioned terror to secure more natural resources.
At any rate, I feel blacker.

5. Low carbon footprint

Combined with cycling, I now have no heating, airconditioning or electronic appliances, I may have half a chance at undoing all the damage my flying around the world wrought on the environment.

That said, it is not altogether pleasant living in a garage, I'd be a fool to recommend it. THAT said though, it makes it even easier to go 'full blown' homeless and write some 'Down and Out in Paris and London' George Orwell style, and if I end up half as famous as George Orwell, or contribute half as much to the advancement of mankind as a moral being then I'll be laughing.
Watch this space! Because I'm thinking this will be great for cliched biographies like JK Rowling, Oprah and all them rags to riches story. I'm sure they had legitimate excuses to be impoversished though, where as I just don't want to work a traditional job, nor waste my money on a stupid landlord desperately trying to turn their speculative blunder into an actual investment.

No comments: