Saturday, August 30, 2008

FOWP Update: Its all Uphill from here

Though if I take in the whole picture, progress is progress and overall I'm closer to the end than I ever was.
I am going to let it sit for a few days, maybe do a few more studies of characters before attempting to draw. I'm confident I can find heaps of reference, and possibly own a fair deal of reference too.
As for the rest, well that's why pencils have erasers I guess.
I'm finished with the "screenplay" if you will. And maybe interestingly, I should talk about the evolution of this process in my mind.

You see, I have another project going on, and that project is a TV show. whether that TV show ends up a reality, or a pie in the sky dream from just another person desperate to be validated somehow as an individual by having a heap of impersonal "fans" witness from a distance a creation of mine, actually I think depends somewhat on other people.
Which means waiting, until those people are generous enough to donate some of their spare time to helping me out.
Here people are different, some people are wired up to love helping people out. I love helping people, its just that there's very little of value I can actually do for people, particularly in these garage days. Some of my friends are like this, they get a kick out of it and it helps me tremendously. These are the 'what would the world be like without...' kind of people. Although I don't know why this thought exercise is so popular with these people. I guess its a kind of compliment, but contimplating a world without people who get a kick out of helping other people is horrible.
The other kind of person, is wired up to not get a particular kick out of helping people. These people don't really exist, I've never really met one. It is an artificial state that usually arises from their lacking the imagination, or my lacking the practical sense, to not see the point of what I'm trying to do. And thus the request for help becomes an annoyance or a delusion.
I would be willing to confront my own delusion, because I'm sure some part of it isn't. The testimony to this, well I live in a tent in a garage. I'm doing this to afford myself the time to do this thing I want to do.
And that's where it was, except having time is great unless you have to wait for other people to find time to help me. And I want their help, I don't want to be a one horse race, even if I do have insanely high standards.

So I wait, but in waiting, I'm choosing to do something that I can take myself, without having to wait on anybody. I also should point out I spend a lot of my time working on a research report for an NGO, so I'm not completely irresponsible... but that's neither here nor there.
You see my blog is something I can control, its a one man how and over the years, I've stopped checking but has been read by some 2000 people or something. Not in entirety obviously but people check it out.
So Fear of a White Planet came up as my one idea that was simple enough, about something meaningful that I could control myself.
Also I rated the idea as like a C- idea, so I didn't mind throwing it away just to have a crack at it. To be honest since its structure and inspiration comes from sci-fi movies, if I had my way I'd make it as a feature movie rather than comic strip. Suspense, sound effects, atmosphere and everything else would pay far more for a non intensive plot than a static visual medium.
Emphasis comes from the size of the panels, and timing as to what occurs at the turn of each page.
Having finished writing the layout though, I'm tentatively going to notch this up to a B- idea. In many ways its failed, in others though its unintentionally clever. It has surprised me. I hope somewhere out there, there is someone who actually wants to read it, that anticipates a finished product, because I think it deserves some minor attention.

As far as stuff I can tell you it is 96 pages long, so it'll be some months yet, at a page a day or more realistically 7 pages a week it'll take me 3 months or more to draw. In context that means that it took me two weeks to write all the scenes, the lines and describe whats going on, to myself. So this next stage is going to be extremely laborious, and I'm not even trying to put out a quality (visually product)
but even after it's drawn, I have to scan it, which means finding a photo-shop compatable computer that I can hook my scanner up to, the labor intensive touch ups, then adding all the speech bubbles which i don't know how to do.
Those last two computer based phases I am not excited about. The drawing I'm looking forward to. It's been so many years since I've held a pencil for any extensive period of time that I'll be curious as to how much I can actually handle in a sitting.

But we all have to have dreams, otherwise we are but consumers.

No comments: