Sunday, August 24, 2008

FOWP: Update - tohm enjoys own work and smells own spunk

One thing great about writing a comic is that it takes almost no time at all. I have to say in hindsight I've been kind of stupid. I should have posted more of my artwork than talk about my premis, ideas and emotionality. Because my drawing is probably the hardest thing to replicate, my ideas on the other hand could be ripped off in an instant.
But I must say, I don't think I gave away toooooooooo much, apart from what its about which frankly has been done before.
Now though I'm glad that the writing/drawing/creating process sort of started from both ends and met in the middle.
There's a 'throw out the rules' sort of quality to it all that leaves me feeling kind of smug. Like when you leave your laces undone out of laziness and find it really rather comfortable.
Stuff I wanted to do ages ago, decisions made without thought end up being these obstacles that when I try and piece all the sequences and images together I find them working out well.
Maybe rather than shoelaces, its more like when you think of your ghost of yourself past as some kind of retard and then it blows you away with normal levels of intelligence.
But the fact of the matter is that you can have an idea that you don't know will work until its actually done. And thus just doing it brings pleasure.
Specifically, I won't go into specifics, but as an example I started writing a couple of days ago, worried that not having any particular shape to the structure and just a little plot, I'd put far more thought into the antagonist that doesn't speak and frankly is all style, no substance and had only given the other characters vague cursory thoughts.
I'd just literally envisioned a supermarket aisle labelled 'african civilizations' and reassured myself I could just grab a little of this, a little of that and put them together.
Unfortunately the antagonist again occupied most of my thoughts, the story really is for the audience the antogonist metaphorically represents. I really just wanted some sympathetic people to throw in front of it to kill.
So I really went in overprepared for the shallow mindless side and somewhat daunted about the depth of the piece. And don't get me wrong, this is a comic, there is not much room for depth, everything has to fit in speech bubbles so no 'emancipation proclomation' gets uttered. Fucken even words like 'inevitable' and 'hypothesis' are a stretch.
So I'm surprised that how little thought was provided to pull it all together.
Furthermore, subconciously I made stylistic decisions that would fucken clash and as much as I hate it, rationalization is working well in the creative process. That is I started with the decision and then discovered through writing the reasons why.

The moral of it all, is that I'm surprised by how with such a lack of structure it all works well. To talk of process, I started with a bunch of scenes. To try and get the jumble out of my head and into some kind of order I just wrote every general idea whether it be a single image I wanted or a whole sequence of events onto cards and ended up with 13. Then just shuffled them around.
I'm aiming to keep it under 100 pages, in order to give me some hope that I can finish this by the end of the year, and realised that some cards or chapters took twix as long as I had anticipated and some of the other ones I had thought more involved ended up taking only 1 or 2 pages.
But as I write its ended up this way for a reason. Because I'm drawn in. I don't find any scenes particularly labored, generally whn I've stopped feeling it, I stopped writing it and went back to see how far I could hit delete.
It's all messy, yet still progresses faster than I ever expected. I'm sure I'll have to go back when I start sketching out the actual page layouts, but I still think overall it shouldn't be too taxing on a reader.
So full steam ahead. The writing should be done by the end of the week. Then back to 'The Show' for a rewrite, and hopefully I can unimmerse myself long enough to try tracking down Bryce and make some forward progress there. Then onto drawing.

No comments: