Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Consumerism

I have a hard time explaining how this:


is quantifiably better than this:



And honestly whilst I would call Black Hole Sun a true classic of *gag* one of the weaker bands of the 90's whilst stuff by My Chemical Romance catchy but without the longevity. Objectively the MCR has 2.7 million views where Soundgarden has 3.6 million but so what SG has had longer for people to watch it, and probably doesn't have 6 posts of the same song.

Nevertheless I hold that certain periods of music are better than others, largely I hold by Jack Black's view that it has something to do with the disparity betwixt when the market changes and the time it takes 'the man' or industry figures out these new changes and commodifies it.
I hold that the human brain hasn't changed much between when I was 16 and 16 year olds now, so I don't blame the youth for the shitty music they like. I think it is just only ever so often a group like Beatles, Elvis, Pink FLoyd, Cream, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, NIN, Primus, Metellica, Faith No More come along and change everything.
HOWEVER! I do believe it is easier to make this case for hip hop.
The evil influences of Hip Hop are well documented by comparison but it was not always this way.
I watched Jar Head last night which set in Gulf War I followed the marines as they proceeded to do nothing the entire war.
It also featured Naughty By Nature's OPP track and I was reminded of this very factor.
Hopefully it is easier to say that this:


is better than today's greatest offering:


and that this:


is better than the face of the 'user generated content' revolution Soulja Boy:
(apparantly you can't embed videos of his work)

Or that even 90's latecomers J5 don't shit all over:


modern best selling artists like Kanye West in terms of message:


Or even maybe looking at industry ejaculum Vanilla Ice:


Is better than when Eminem tries his hardest to be serious:


And that's not even touching giants like Public Enemy, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest. Maybe we can look at the ultimate collaboration of the new millennium vs te 90's and decide truly whether we are happier now with music than we were ten years ago:



Can you keep your head exploding from the awesomeness of the new era.

(also irrelevantly I got lured by this clip on youtubes home page called 'my seeds & your grandchildren' disappointingly I thought it was going to be some horrifyingly serious marriage proposal it turned out to be pretty funny)

No comments: