Sunday, September 28, 2008

...Yet

frontal aside - I hope Harvard enjoyed my Sing-A-pore shout out, which incedentily had both more pictures and more words than his recent blog posts. More likely he cringed at my blatent riffing off Brett Easton Ellis.

I cruised through a bookstore in the naive belief today that if I just gave the RMIT computer lab an hour it would get less busy and I'd feel less guilty about using the computers for non-school work.

Incidentily it didn't calm down.

Extra-incidentily I was looking at a lot of books trying to figure out where the fuck someone would shelve "The Men Who Stare at Goats" about the MK (Mind Control) unit of the US Army Corp that was born out of not wanting to leave anything remotely to chance.

I couldn't find it, at border's it was in-stock and shelved under 'journalism' a shelf that doesn't exist, border's catalouging system is starting to piss me off.

And in Reader's Feast I just plain couldn't find it. I checked under history, non-fiction, popular science and then just gave up and left.

But I did come across books like 'Hot, Flat and Crowded' by Thomas Friedman, and other books by Tim Flannery, books on the Science of Fear, The downfall of the Bush's, more books on Atheism (glad that monkey was finally gotten off our back) etc.

Something clicked today though, a bunch of things that had been clinking around for ages in my head after watching the dullest fucking Presidential Debate ever.

I've been thinking about if I started a political party what I would call it.

I still haven't struck on anything good, apart from the witty 'Also Ran' Party which would be ironic if it won.

But I thought of a great campaign line for the current state of affairs in the world. "You don't deserve to live"

Brutal, cruel and surely unpopular. The more I thought about it though, the more I thought its what politics really needs.

Such a tagline may be a political death wish, but for that very reason for me it sort of reasonates as a NLP sort of question.

I think everyone is getting tired of nobody taking responsibility. Politically our dilemma is the oposite of our every day lives, where so many of us just need someone to tell us that we are special, doing a great job and appreciated, we need our leaders to turn around and say 'You are fucking up everything! You are a fucking greedy moron and I hope you die' Maybe Samual L Jackson is the man for the job.

I'm thinking Anzac parades, something I don't partake in, where an entire generation put everything aside to go fight in Europe and the Pacific just to preserve our current order of life. Young people giving their lives, living in Trenches being shot at and shooting people. Doing murder to defend a Queen from a little German guy, and then being ditched by said Queen and depending on the yanks to fight off the Japanese.

Flash forward 60 years and suddenly we have people who aren't willing to forego their car, aren't willing to go without airconditioning, aren't willing to tolerate casualties in a war on terror, aren't willing to let bankers pay for their own mistakes, aren't willing to let people pay the consequences of their own greed.

If human nature was fixed, it would be easy to pass judgement on the Human race, with the campaign tagline "You don't deserve to live" the irony of the line is that if MY party was defeated, a party with the balls to actually follow through on climate change, foreing affairs and financial crisis, and subsequently endure the pain of correcting those mistakes (which is pitifully little in my view) then effectively even in defeat that campaign would be a success.

People would have by their vote indicated that yes they "don't deserve to live"

But human nature isn't fixed, it is capable of learning and so, I must affix "You don't deserve to live, YET" there is hope. We could indeed prove ourselves worthy of living on, we could sit down, look at ourselves and come to some conclusions about how we live our lives.

I stand in the RMIT business computer labs, and since my time their, only a short time ago things have changed, for one thing crazily there used to be one of those 'velvet rope' guard things along one wall that said 'queue here when lab is full' so that people could recieve a computer from an outgoing student in an orderly manner on a first come first serve basis.

Furthermore those sitting on the computers mindlessly browsing their facebook or myspace pages could look up and realise people were waiting to do work on said computers and feel guilty.

Someone has removed that and student society has fallen apart. People don't queue anymore they wander around the lab endlessly hoping to grab a computer that opens up before anyone else can.

In further troubling development, now there is no queue when the lab is busy, people don't so much as feel guilty for tying up machines but bask in the glory of tying up machines, abandoning the computer logged in for 15 minute breaks with their books and food spread all over the place. This causes despair for the endlessly circling students looking for a free computer.

Maybe we need to look at our antisocial behaviour and collectively decide whether we really deserve to live or not.

No comments: