Sunday, September 07, 2008

Let's start with Money

I understand money. I know for example that money is a 'medium of exchange' it has no 'intrinsic value' is worth more today than it will be tomorrow thanks to 'inflation' which is kept under control by keeping the supply of money relatively scarce whilst generally acceptable 'legal tender' in other words. That means our coffers in the reserve (that guarantee our money is worth something) have to exist.

I understand savings (sacrifices today to make tomorrow easier), the relationship between risk and return (profit and risk are directly related in proportion in an efficient market) and how banks make money, the categories of investment products and so fourth.

So financially I would describe my literacy as above average. I've done Economics and finance subjects over the years, I've written about them, I could potentially teach them.

But I just don't feel the desire for it anymore. And let's put that in further contextualisation...

I do understand that money being exchangable creates more choices for me in the future. That in ten years time I may want to get married, buy a house, get an expensive operation, put my kids through school. I comprehend that the more I put away now, the easier it will be to make those decisions. The more choices I will have and the less sacrifice I have to make to choose one over the other.
Those are all important BIG things you can spend money on.

And I understand them. I'm not particularly worried about them though. I don't wake up in the night worried about my future financial position. It makes perfect sense that I should. I just don't.

What I worry about more, is the fact that I've chosen not to make a certain amount of money. I could only estimate what that would be right now.
But if I sit back and try to imagine myself still doing my old job, I just can't. I've moved on. I'm out of that rut.

Furthermore, I believe there's some thing I should do with my life, which isn't just spending it preserving my own life and ushering in another life form to do the same.

I should do something with my life. Something. That something is what I worry about, not being some hobo on a street corner swearing at random people.

Ideally I would be able to do that something, and also someday usher in some other living people to be able to also do something with their lives.

So symptom number one, is that while I understand money, I find it even in the most rational uses of money, a lower priority at the moment.

No comments: