Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Garage Society

One area of my life now I find the most notable adverse effects of living in a garage is in my social life. I've talked about it before.
In short though I just don't want to spend time with friends. Not because I don't like my friends, I just would rather bury myself in work.
I have about three projects going on, so I don't mean 'work' in the conventional sense of paid work, I just mean I'd rather work on 'stuff' like drawing, writing, exercise etc. than hanging out with people. The people I most want to see, are those that can help me work.

I've started cognitive behavioral therapy on this aspect already. Namely, I started socializing again. I still think it wont be till I'm living in my own place again that I'll get seriously proactive about getting laid. My libido is pretty low.

In fact I had a revelation the other day. There are plenty of people out their to date. But not in a 'the world is my oyster sense'

I mean a nice girl doesn't need me to be nice to them. There are plenty of nice guys for them. Thanks guys, for freeing me up.

But yeah, overall I find since moving into a garage, my life has become socially one dimensional. I'm probably most concerned about that though, I don't want to become a recluse.

If my brain snaps out of this garage mode eventually I don't want to suddenly turn up wanting to be best buddies with people I ignored for 6 months, 1 year, 10 years.

I hypothesised before that maybe it was pride. Maybe I am hiding from my friends because I feel inferior due to my living conditions.

In that regard the behavioral therepy is working, when I inform my friends of my living predicament, I am usually met with curiosity.

Eventually it seems I will become conscious that what my friends seem to assume 'I'm doing this out of choice' is precisely the case.

On the upside I know I always wanted to befriend a homeless person, hear their story and not talk down to them, so if that's common to any of my friends they should be crowding around me now.

An average boring friend that has become homeless.

No comments: