Monday, March 24, 2008

Jesus you just made the list

I do believe that public holidays have a worthy place in society. But as Les Claypool says 'funny things about weekends when your unemployed, they don't mean quite so much, except you get to hang out with your working friends' I must admit I am a greater believer in demand management and annual leave than public holidays, a few sure.
I like Christmass though if I had to pick people to voluntarily hang out with for a day I probably wouldn't pick my extended family.
And since I recieved an obvious piece of Spam promoting a holiday to China as a generic Blog comment no doubt set to pick up the key words 'holiday' and 'China' it reminds me of the stupidity of their Spring Festival, where it is traditional for virtually the entire population to try and relocate in the same weeklong period.
Or like encouraging everyone to go to the toilet at the same time, or anything that encourages queing and waiting as part of a process.
And as such it seems anytime I ever get stuck it is on a weekend where my bank can't help me, because it shuts down, and even excellent companies with 24/7 service all year round that never leave you in the lurch directly, are left in the lurch by my bank.
And thus when my Visa card gets stolen on Easter Sunday morning, I don't get mad at the thief, nor particularly at myself, because its easier to blame Jesus who thanks to coming back from the dead, prolongs my inconvenience by 48 hours.
I mean sure take a holiday, but if there is anything the casualisation of the workforce proves its that there are always people willing to work any day of the year for cash or cash bonuses. There are whole countries now that ca provide essential services that don't believe in Jesus or weekends.
That's all I'm saying, I love those holidays like Boxing day where virtually everything is open, but these holidays like Easter and the most miserable public holiday of all Good Friday, that force all these businesses to close and us to hang out with distant cousins for an awkward 6 hours, for those I blame you Jesus.

No comments: