Saturday, September 09, 2006

Thug

I put down the phone after talking to my sis' mum (Madoka so you know that sentance does kind of make sense) and even though pinning down Madoka to talk on an archaic landline is proving more difficult than I had first anticipated the way it's ploughing through the credit on my phone card is such we should be able to have a 15 hour conversation when I finally dp.
I can't help but smile, and chilax after speaking to Madoka's parents. I know it sounds crazy but it really feels like I'm coming home. Again when I finish my zine (sorry my friends that have deserted me to international greener pastures) that may be explained for you. But to give an evasive explanation Japan was the first place I ever went where my family name meant jack shit and I could define who 'tohm' was.
Anyway I'm getting excited about this going to China and Japan. I also ran out of books to read (which is an outright lie) what I meant is light fluffy books to read I will plow through Henry George's Progress and Poverty in my own time but I just need something to space out on the train before work each day as part of my relaxation overhaul.
So what is lighter and fluffier than a history of ninja or samurai? Well a lot really. And furthermore the book I wanted to buy wasn't there but I noticed a book called thug. Now I know from my studies that ninja are theorised as being late descendants of the Thuggee strangling cult. So I decided to buy this book instead. Whilst sitting in the car with Bryce (i didn't have the balls to request he turned his mobile off while we went for a walk on the beach in the spirit of relaxing exercise) I flicked through the book to see what I had actually purchased. And you know what the photo section had images that were practically begging to be shown to white children to scare them off foreigners forever.
There was also a graphic picture of the death sentance by elephant trampling handed down to some thuggies much more graphic than this picture:
Jerry Lewis can say he is funnier than this
So anyway this may be the first book I have ever been scared to read. Expect another post shortly Iffin I be up at 2 am with night terrors of thug stranglers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! did you know Henry George influenced Sun Yat-sen's thinking and also was influential in helping set up the prototype of the Associated Press in the West of the USA? WOW! Both of which have some relevance to my thesis! WOW!

-Parky