Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Appreciate yo'self

Tonight I went to FLN's community networker evaluation night. A community networker is a home tutor by the way, except they are called a community networker. It was awesome, except some people were sluggish in the way they articulated. I always get annoyed when people say 'I don't really want to talk about it...' followed by ten minute explanations of what 'it' is and why it's so difficult to talk about it.
But being annoyed is nothing to me, it is like mosquito, nothing! haha!
Anyway it was great to meet up with 3-4 'generations' of community networkers in one place. But a common experience between a lot of them (and I could relate as well) was that even though one of our functions in being involved with refugees is to promote a more positive image and actual experiences which the media is not good at doing. Sometimes we don't like to talk about it because people condescendingly tell you what a good person you are.
i do and I don't get this. Yes I don't percieve the activity to be as much of a personal sacrifice as they percieve it to be. No I find it quite useful that people can have doubts that I'm not a complete arsehole.
But more to the point, you do nobody favours by not graciously accepting admiration, the emphasis is on graciously of course. But seriously, people do seriously admire people for all kinds of things, and saying 'it's nothing' is like saying 'you on the other hand are a really bad person' instead just recommend people to get into it maybe even say they would be really good at it.
One of the volunteers had roped their mother into doing it. thumbs up.
Be nice serve the first slice.

No comments: