Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Soundtrack to my Life

Blogging in the fucken morning, so I'm back to this. Seriously I'm ready for daylight savings I'm waking up before my alarm goes off by a clearer margin everyday, the scary part being that my alarm goes off at 6 in the AM.
I caught up with marc one time who coordinates rew activities and is one of those people that needs to be alive to keep the concept of 'humanity' alive. We caught up at Mekong and while he went to the toilet I took the opportunity to pay the bill up. He was really embarassed until I said in wise tohm mode 'don't underestimate how generous it is to accept someone else's genorosity' which is a lesson hard learnt for me by hanging around Omar, who will not let me cut a bruise off my apple nor cut up my own apple when I'm at his place because he's got all this arab hospitality going. I always want to be treated like I treat people in my house which is to point in the vague direction of where things are and let people help themselves, that's hospitable enough for me.
That being said sometimes it sucks to be a wigger, I've been helping Rio a bball mate with an assignment and I got one up on the hospitality stakes by paying for a meal the other night, absentmindedly not realising how I had shamed him by placing him in my debt, which although I felt good aboot myself I also felt bad aboot myself.
Anyway Rio solves this by inviting me to the movies on a free ticket.
A free ticket to 'step up' the film that you expected 8 mile to be. And by that I mean a movie about rap battles staring Eminem had to be shit, but when I saw it it was pretty quality, belivable characters, well acted and setting really put you there.
'Step up' is 8 mile except instead of Eminem you got some wigger back up dancer as the main character. The shots are all poorly framed and the actors are acting to a standard lower than Home & Away. Everything was fake, every shot unnatural, the interplay between the characters was terrible. The premise was sloppy and Rachel Griffiths randomly turns up in this film camping up her role as a conservative director of the arts school. It was pretty much a Disney summer camp themed film.*
So in the end the girl gets to have a job as a choreographer and the marginalised white guy gets a scholarship to arts school. This film although it has performances at the same level as snakes on a plane it is no snakes on a plane. It just makes snakes on a plane look all the more on another level to any film you've ever seen.
All that being said riding there and riding home I really felt the loss of my ipod, these movie characters when things get emotional or anything.
And that's just what an ipod is for us living in reality it's the soundtrack to your life and I had recently made a playlist called 'liquid happiness' that had all the music I needed for a duke awesome spring day but alasness my ipod worked one minute the next it died in my hands. I plugged it in, rebooted it but it was dead. Like Usama Bin Laden without the speculation dead.
So my life has been hollow and empty without it.
So when you think about all the suffering in the world, global warming, Ugandian humanitarian crises, Thai coup's, Donald Rumsfield, Muscular Dystrophy and Evermore. Well you can just add tohm's broken ipod to the list.

*except of course Heavy Weights the Fat Camp extravaganza that is pretty much the best daytime tv film you can ever hope to cop on a sickday.

No comments: