Saturday, March 18, 2006

You've Got Balls

To the untrained eye the novels I digested this week could be noted for their distinct lack of balls. Lewis Carol's drug trip masterpiece 'Alice In Wonderland' and Sabine Dardenne's real life acount of being abducted by Marc Dutroux one Belgium's (gee Belgium is a funny name) most heinous paedophiles according to the blurb called 'I Choose to Live'.
Both heroine's have balls. (if Sabine can be called a heroine, she gave some poor guy who asked for her Autograph a roasting) Alice is trapped in a nonsense world and confronted by the Queen of Hearts and other more benign characters and she doesn't take any shit from them. I was always familiar with line's like 'there's plenty of room!' and other stuff but it wasn't till I re-read Alice in Wonderland that I saw how down to earth and in control Alice is with the whole universe. Ultimately she finds Wonderland fascinating and Fun but she sticks to the sensibilities of her upbringing through thick and then rendering her completely insane in Wonderland. The little madam enforces her reasoning on the world around her. Even if she is eating magic mushrooms, drinking absinth and smoking hookah the whole time.
She keeps her feet on the ground even with the simplest and most childlike objectives.
I hear Lewis Carole used to like photograph young girls in the raw, so I'm not sure how much he should be admired.
'I Choose to Live' I guess is just a horrific book. I read it in two days. I have to say I just can't imagine it suffice to say her description of the hidey hole in the cellar where the peadophile kept her in between 'his paces' that was the same rathole in which two girls had starved to death comes pretty much as close to a DIY incarnation of hell as I can imagine, like something out of Edgar Allen Poe's novels, you know the one where the guy chains up his friend and buries him alive behind a wall.
Sabine has reprints of letters she wrote to her family down the hole but omits the details of the rape she suffered (probably thankfully) as I don't think I could actually take reading it. It was something she endured for 80 days its a quick read and an important one I think, she's a year younger than me, that's fucking crazy.
She survived by standing up to 'the creep' shaming him, challenging him and repetatively demanding 'priveledges' like tooth brushes, clothes, coffee etc until he gave in.
She refers to herself as a stroppy madam. I don't really refer to the quality of having balls as a masculine quality as such. I like it because Selma Hayek who fills me with painful longings when asked by her mother when she was going to marry replied 'When I find a man with more balls than I do.' I use it in that mythical south american cajones sense as in "You got 'uge cajones padre"
I have male friends that I have derided with 'You have small, small balls.' and female friends that I offer really what amounts to my highest praise 'You've got balls' I try and use it independant of gender, just these mythical, metaphysical pair of testicles that are embodied in someones soul.
But take note! There was a book a bought a friend called 'You've Gotta Have Balls' that I bought a friend of mine (I think I already wrote about this in "Go Womyn") that she said wasn't any good and mostly about menopause. But I maintain that it was a best seller and the blurb had the following punch tastic punchy points:
Men Don't have arguements and hang up on the phone and not speak to each other for months
Men don't try and destroy eachother's career prospects in the workplace (which isn't true but they do tend to form blokey clubs and only compete when the advancement opportunities narrow down)
And several others of which I can't remember.
So what appealed to me? Admittedly masculine values in women have long been acknowledged in the term tom-boy and vice versa with the sensitive new age guy and the now all pervasive Metrosexual. The metrosexual that put us at risk of being overthrown by the subterranean crab people.
Admittedly testosterone in the media gets a shot in the arm every time a war brakes out and the obligatory coverage of redneck's telling us how cool their new 'anti-arab' (I probably shouldn't put that in quotation marks since I'm not quoting anyone) technology is.
But fact is there are 'manly' traits that should be shared between the genders and encouraged in general. It's hard to be clear about this, sexism really starts when you shove a useless My Little Pony in your daughters hands and a too cool transformer in your sons. The 'roles' that don't really exist but are merely reinforced by culture could be broken down. It would require a popular movement though as every boy who was into My Little Pony's turned out to be some kind of sexual miscreant, this can't be a stream of drops turning a bolder into a pebble over time kind of thing.
It needs to be enforced by Chairman Mao or something.
Anyway I like balls, there's nothing more attractive in a girl than metaphysical hairy boys, call it spunk if you like, or chutzpah, or integrity. I call it balls.
I mean they say you need balls to stand up to someone but nobody stands on testicles. They stand on feet which everyone has.
I think 8 in ten men (or 4 in 5 good work tom) would take a tomboy over a princess yet our society still produces girls that cry over broken nails, involuntarily sneer when taken to a shitty pub and generally of no use to anyone but stores trying to offload over priced shit. These princess' are portrayed as uppity bitches in every single teen movie and every other bit of western pop culture. Do girls just aspire to be this stereotype or does most of their energy get channeled into lying to themselves.
Anyway to demonstrate the disparity in the ideals I thought I'd include these lyrics from Lovage (featuring Mike Patton) the bold text is the female part but it identifies the simplicity of the male sexual ideal verses the many many roles projected on girls (I think to be honest this would have a cowboy and a pirate, possibly even a firemen but girls seem to have less choice in the sexual fantasy realm):
Sex (i'm a)

Dan, I need you now
Ok Mikey, come
Feel the fire
Feel my love inside you so bright

There's a sound and the smell of love on my mind
I'm a toy
Come and play with me, say work now
Wrap your legs
Around me ride me tonight
Sex, sex, sex

I'm a man
I'm a goddess
I'm a man
I'm a virgin
I'm a man
I'm a blue movie
I'm a man
I'm a bitch
I'm a man
I'm a geisha
I'm a man
I'm a little girl
I'm a man
And we'll make love together

Why does man go to hooker
First of all because
He quite often is not all that happy and sexual satisfied at home
His wife won't perform all the activities he has in mind
And most of all, oral sex is a taboo
The woman would say 'what do you think I am, a whore
I don't want to do that

Slip and slide when you're wet you like to feel the blood flow
Not to fast
Don't be slow my love's in your hands

I'm a man
I'm a boy
I'm a man
I'm you're mother
I'm a man
I'm a one night stand
I'm a man
I am a bi
I'm a man
I'm your slave
I'm a man
I'm a little girl
I'm a man
And we'll make love together

Most of them come to a hooker and say
My wife oh my wife is she dead in bed
She's frigid, cold as a starfish
They take off the pants
And their underpants
There's nothing more ridiculous than a guy with his party socks on
He dives into the bedroom
He says "Do me!", suck it !

Skin to skin
Honey hold tight
Come inside it's a passion play just for you
Let's get lost in the magic place alone now
Drink your fill from a fountain of love wet your lips

I'm a man
I'm a teaser
I'm a man
I'm a virgin
I'm man
I'm a one night stand
I'm a man
I'm a drug
I'm a man
I'm your slave
I'm a man
I'm a dream to find
I'm a man
And we'll make love together

I'm a man
I'm a goddess
I'm a man
I'm a hooker
I'm a man
I'm a blue movie
I'm a man
I'm a slut
I'm a man
Well i'm your babe
I'm a man
I'm a dream to find
I'm a man
And we'll make love together

We'll make love together
We'll make love together
We'll make love together
We'll make love together

Fuckin piece of shit
One little two little three little indians
Suck it firehose

No comments: