Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Corner for Tom


Where I decided I should start this blog was as far from the internet as you can probably get in Australia these days. Thankfully in my upbringing my parents found a camp ground they liked enough to take us back to year after year after year. When they sold the family farm it left us with a point for grounding still, a link back to our childhood.
So penetrating is the sanctuary that any other holiday does not really provide any rest by comparison.
It's beach and river and bush and desert in one place. I've seen sea eagles stalking eels, seals coughing on the beach and jumping waves, I've had red belly black snakes slither over my feet, goannas eat my garbage, bush mice crossing sand dune, sat and sketched the putrid rotting mass of a minkey whale (or whichever wale it was) had a stare out with a lyre bird and walked through more spiderwebs than I can remember.
I've had 12 New Years there. I've stared into a black canvas of stars and spotted crappy russian satellites orbiting the earth. I've grown full on lumberjack beards. I've held my shit in for four days straight for fear of the dreaded pit toilets.
I always reavaluate who I am and do new age shit I'm too ashamed to do in the city like tai chi, yoga, meditation.
Most of my time is spent just pacing up and down my river though (which isn't a euphamism for masturbation) for three hours at a time. And there is one universal conclusion one can come to in a place like this. Property developers are fuckheads and market forces can move against the interests of intellectual snobs like myself that believe a park like this should remain forever at my disposal for $10 a night when someone could build a resort and rent it to Russel Crowe for $1400 a night where he could make it look appealing to fuckhead sydneysiders.
Which is why if I were supreme overlord of existence I would live in the park and correspond with my fascist police force via ninja correspondents saying things like 'slap John Howard clean on the forhead' and 'tell dick cheney to shoot himself through the foot' and 'Cancel Rove Live.' from my secure Eutopia, except not European in any way.
But seriously its a beautiful place, I hope for your sake that maybe one day you'll find it and appreciate it.