Monday, February 06, 2006

A Month of Sundays

For the first time in a long time I did nothing on a Sunday. Buckets of nothing. I didn’t even speak to anyone all day. I had the apartment to myself. I watched the Led Zeppelin DVD and decided that I have to buy a drum kit. So I rocked out in my underwear but couldn’t really let loose because I forget other people don’t get up by 7am on a Sunday. I won’t play music in my room but I forget that playing music on the TV is the same thing.
Decided to spoil myself with McDonalds for breakfast, it’s about a ten minute walk. Did so was disappointed I think my McMuffins had been sitting in the thing for the longest time. I meandered back home and crashed on the couch. I’m reading Absurdistan at the moment by Eric Campbell an ABC foreign correspondent, very good narrative. Privatising from a ratshit centrally planned economy just doesn’t work, and as for the Taliban the whole Afghanistan war (although generally a war consists of two sides fighting, carpet bombing should have it’s own name) was sketchy at best but the Taliban was into some ridiculous and fanatical rules there and probably everyone’s better off having them gone.
But the book cant keep me entertained that long.
I was meant to go to the Quakers meeting and I wish I had to learn something new. I like the sound of the Quakers they seem to respect the individuals personal spirituality which most organised religions I find tend to overlook. But I didn’t because I fell asleep again. Then I dithered around for about 20 minutes looking for a suitable container to put all my 5c pieces in. I wandered down to Barkly Square to get some lunch and realised it was way too early for lunch.
So I walked round Princes Park. The duckling wasn’t into my spinach and fetta damper roll and to be honest I wouldn’t buy one again. I walked past people practicing kung fu in the park and wondered how close I’d let them get to me before running. On closer inspection I determined that skill in kung fu also cannot make you cool.
I walked past ‘Optus Oval’ my Mecca that’s nice I wonder if Carlton will play respectable football this year I haven’t even checked up on the draft picks we got. I bought a bowtie and some lunch. Offloaded all my coins. Went home was still too full from breakfast so I just forced the food down my throat as I didn’t have anything to do. I tried playing a computer game my brother recommended that is turning out to be the most thoroughly tedious and boring game in the universe, one of those dialogue games.
So I ping ponged it between the game and the book, lying around in my underwear. Not even exciting underwear. If my whole life were Sundays like this one I’d last two days. I had more showers than could possibly be justified. Picked out my monobrow. Where to from there? My life felt so empty and stagnant even though I enjoy my own company normally.
As an introverted person I find social interaction exhausting, but I didn’t recharge at all on Sunday. In fact I didn’t get any relief from my impending ennui until Smallville came on (which I shouldn’t be admitting to as it combines the embarrassment of teen drama with the nerdiness of being a comic book fan making me doubly uncool) but I saw the most awesome thing. Superman started dating this girl who was hot and could teleport. It was the most exciting application of teleportation ever. Forget interstellar travel this girl was feeling randy and teleported into his room for some action. Words can not describe how excited I was by this practical application of teleportation technology.
I was so excited that life felt good again. I mean it would mean more pregnant teenagers out there but that’s cool I can did that. If I could teleport I’d just work as the worlds best paid courier in the world.
I suspect this posting has been as boring as my Sunday was. I should have gone and done something like roller disco I don’t know. Why cant I meet a teleporting chick in an elevator disaster?

No comments: