Monday, February 20, 2006

And Now the Aristocrats...

Saw just about the best documentary I’ve ever seen in my life last Friday. After the short lived joy of setting up a wireless network in my house being replaced with the longterm frustration of it deciding not to work, I’ve finally got back to writing my blog on the sly at work.
Aristocrats I highly recommend if you enjoy pure filth. It brings together comedians the best thing about democracy all telling the same joke over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It goes on for about 2 hours like this. The punchline is shitty. The premis is funny. You tell the same joke about an act that’s called the aristocrats and you just try and push it into the darkest realm of tasteless, perverted, incestuous, racist,, paedophilic, masochistic and vile as is humanly possible. The worst renditions of which is told by Women and Bob Sagat of Full House fame, the lamest family oriented comedian in the world.
I loved it. I was surprised at how many of the filthy concepts were completely unnew to me (the priveledges of a private education) and furthermore highlighted that nothing on earth is not worth laughing at.
If the worst state of being, the worst level of existence is fear (which I personally believe it is) a state of existence where nothing is so sacred it cannot be laughed at openly is really the change I would like to see in the world.
Maybe I’m completely insane but I was saying to my main man Omar as we walked along the shore of Albert Park Lake on Saturday night that, if he were to push me into the water in my two tone shoes and cocktail wear I’d be wet, I’d be pissed off, it would ruin my evening but I would still laugh, because I can see the funny side of it all.
You know there is a lot of negativity in the world and a lot of tragedy and you know what they all make great material. My idea of what is funny, as in the very funniest something can be is to say ‘the exact wrong thing at the exact wrong time’ like on orientation at International House where students from all over the world unite under the brotherly philosophy of fraternitas and during the first briefing some guy made aperfectly intelligent and relevant comment that also happened to be from Malaysia and I lent over to the guy next to me and whispered ‘fucking asians’ SNAP! It set him off. Infact racial comedy later became a hallmark tactic of the international house debating teams.
If you can stand outside of yourself and not take yourself so seriously then you’ll notice a lot of shit is actually really funny. Being white, middle class and born in Australia and male I am one of the least persecuted and most advantaged people alive on earth. The best day of my life was when I was in Japan and went to my sister Madoka’s volunteer work with her. Madoka is awesome and deserves a blog entry of her own but every weekend she hung out and helped cook and spend time in what can only be called a day care centre for WW2 veterans.
I sat there watching these old people who could only really drool and sit upright (if assisted) try and sing old school songs that were long and droning. But because they were from a generation that believed that Japan was the devine people destined to rule all the world they would quite happily refer to me in the Japanese equivalent terms for ‘white-nigger’ because I was meant ot be working in the rice fields for their grandchildren not sitting in western clothing eating their food. Hilarious.
SO I can see someone objecting that if I was a slave of Japanese overlords working in the rice fields I probably wouldn’t find being called Japanese derogatory slave names funny. Maybe, but I should. Because that is funny, because slavery is wrong. What a world. What a fucking joke.

I'm well behind on shit I meant to disclose will keep them coming over the next couple of days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing I have learnt doing standup is that when making jokes about the Wiley Chow or other abstract humour where the joke is not so much the punchline but the very concept that someone would make such a joke, about about 60% of the audience will be too shocked to laugh or let their political correctness get the better of them, 30% will not get the irony of the situation and agree with what you are saying, and 10% will get the joke you are trying to tell.

So whilst it is great I think it is funny and that 1 out of 10 people get it, when you have an audience of 30 and only 3 people laughing it is quite dispiriting. And look, I know what is funny, and I know if I die on stage whether it's my fault or the audience's fault. This is really my problem, not yours. But I guess what I'm saying is whilst it's true that everything is funny from one person's perspective, it's equally likely that from the majority of other people's perspective it isn't. How zen.