Thursday, February 23, 2006

It is better to look good than feel good

Last weekend I was at my weekly cycling club, were I take RMIT international students around the city. We leave from Fed Square but last weekend I couldn’t park my bike anywhere so I can sensuously rub sunscreen into my face and arms as I normally do. Briefly I entertained the notion that I had had my best turnout ever. Then I realised if 60 people did turn up my best option would be to ride away as quickly as possible, not wanting to answer questions for the police as to why I had 60 inexperienced riders trying to fit in a bike lane when some driver takes them out. But after the allotted time nobody had shown up. So I headed out to Brighton Yacht Club from the city. Which was a dumb idea anyway to compound my dumb idea of not eating breakfast. I like riding along the beach. The actually have bike paths and runner/walker paths. Some smartarse has painted Mammoth stencils under the bike and rollerblade silhouettes too which cracks me up.
I turned around at the yacht club and headed back into town. I had ridden so much I was dizzy. I then proceeded to eat so much I felt sick. I had to sit and digest a while so I headed into Fed square to see what was on.
What was on was the sustainable living festival. My first impression was ‘What’s wrong with these people’ as I dropped my rubbish from lunch on the ground to be safely washed into the Yarra with the next heavy fall. People wearing all kinds of stuff that looks like its been crocheted from Camel pubes and sandpaper. But on closer inspection there where a lot of ‘normal’ people like me.
My lasting impression was that it was a tradeshow, which I have attended more than my fair share of. But this was a tradeshow that is promoting products that actually need promoting. There was something for everyone. I went to Engineers without Borders for Dad, ethical investments for me, environmentally sustainable estate planning for mum and grandma who need to be shipped off soon. No Sweat non sweatshop sneakers for my sister.
The only thing missing was plastic showbags to be handed out by every stall so I can put my brochures into and then chuck into the river at the end of the day. The lack of showbags was a real hassle. I had to come back the next day with a backpack to get all the info I needed.
And of course earthsharing which is causing me a headache because I can’t refute it. They were represented too. I’m in the running for a scholarship. I’m going to buy an Australian Fur Seal Fur coat environmentalists have no sense of style.

No comments: