Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I am a River

In my first year staying at international house I was drinking goon with my best girl of the time when a Maurition friend who had just had five shots of tequila staggered out of the darkness towards us and hit me with this awesome bombshell 'You, you... you are a river when I see you I see a river, there are no obstacles for you even mountains you grind down to small pebbles in time.' my girlfriend said 'and what about me what do you see when you see me?' inadvertantly I triggered my gag reflex because I fucking hate wine I don't know why I was drinking goon. 'You I see nothing I don't know you' he said.
So I took this spiritual insight to heart possibly just because I thought indian people tend to be more spiritual than whiteys, we've all done it. In the end it probably doesn't matter whether I have a soul or not and all that shite. A river's a pretty good metephor for someone's character regardless, and generally if you want something to be true about yourself you can make it happen.
There's an awesome quote on one of those inspirational posters at work nobody reads "Talent will not bring success, because the world is full of unrecognised talent. Genius will not, genius unrewarded is a story as old as genisis. Education will not for the world is full of educated people that have never achieved anything. Only persistence can bring about success.'
Which is a truism really, unless you can just cruise through on natural talent.

No comments: