Monday, October 06, 2008

The Self Diagnosis: Existential Induced Misanthropy

Okay, after pondering everything here are the two overriding themes that come out of all of my symptoms:

1. Distinct lack of motivation to participate in society.
2. Slight disdain for society.

Which leads me to conclude that I am undergoing an existential crisis with a light seasoning of misanthropy.

Perhaps doctor phil played no small part when I flipped over his latest book that tells you how to prepare before hand for the 7 hardest days of your life. Contrary to the expectation it would consist of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday it was actually about things like berievement, losing a job etc. It also had existential crisis.

Knowing Dr. Phil's advice to usually be along the lines of advising alcoholics to 'stop drinking so much' in a southern accent I didn't investigate further.

I find it amusing to think that one can prepare for an existential crises as surely preparing would involve actually evaluating the meaning of one's existence and thus plunge you headlong into an existential crisis.

My misanthropy on the other hand may be spawned by such comments as:

Whole world's economy is crashing. Happy now? Frankly I don't feel too bad.


By such sporadic readers of the blog that I do.

And I guess yes, this is my misanthropy in action, I am happy that the world economy is crashing. But not because I hate people. More that I see it as a healthy confronting event that will cause people to look within themselves and reassess their priorities in life.

I mean it is kind of the same to me in principle as the justice system. If you break the law, you should reap the fruits of your actions. Similarly watching people that tried to get rich without contributing anything of benefit to anyone now desperately scramble to avoid their fate is kind of amusing.

So I think in a way, my existential crisis is driven by my deep seated frustration that more people aren't undergoing existential crises, a frustration I project onto them in the form of dislike.

Tomorrow the self prescription.

No comments: