Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Prescription Lachrymology

Lachrymology? lachrymology?? lachrymology???

What is it?

What is it?

See technically I should have seen an existential crisis coming, the solution commonly bandied about is simply to define the meaning of our own existence.

Sure, I could lamely set a bunch of goals. Then just forget, forget this thing that doesn't just happen to me, but happens to everybody.

That one can simply stumble into forgetting all possible sense of purpose in life.

To me defining one's own context seems to just say 'invent your own religion' I figure I may as well take on the psuedoscience of lachrymology - the study of tears.

I just appropriated this because of the part inside of me that actually feels quite good to see the desperation, fear and shock when people these days are confronted not with hard truths, but meager unpleasantness.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?


Was John Maynard Keynes on the last depression, Climate Change was one such changing of the facts.

It basically said 'the context of your lives, the meaning you have assigned to it cannot continue. Therefore that meaning was wrong.' or more bluntly 'the efforts of your entire lives don't matter, because no body will be alive soon to appreciate it'

If that doesn't make you cry I don't know what would.

I feel what I need is for people to cry, cry it all out as a means by which they confront their own significance.

the real joke is just that before climate change and the world financial collapse people were convinced of their own insignificance.

I'm just one person what possible impact could I have on the biosphere?

I'm just one person what possible impact could my decisions have on wall st?

Now we are being told that our self absorbed self interest have obliterated all the wealth created and brought us perilously close to the end of human existence.

We are significant.

We need to cry salty tears and say 'it's all true I've fucked up! I fucked it all up!'

Then I'm sure we will notice that eventually we stop crying, we realise it isn't helping anything.

We stand up and apply ourselves industriously to helping anything.

No comments: