Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Father's day special: The Life Giving Sword

In Inu Yasha a long running manga series that I have long since given up on following the seemingly endless plotlines of Japanese Manga of which Inu Yasha excels there is the main character Inu Yasha a half-dog half-man demon and his brother called something else. In a cruel twist of fate Inu the protagonist has been given the perfect killing blade of destruction and his evil brother a sword that can only be used to heal, not kill.

And thus thusserson came up with a literal interpretation of Yagyu Munenori's philosophy of the 'Life-Giving Sword' a work in the tradition of Zen Swordsmanship of lesser fame than the book of five rings, lesser by virtue of Yagyu being more of a legitimately accomplished sword-saint and instructor than Musashi who was more romantically accomplished at sword.
The philosophy of the Life-Giving-Sword is that you use a Death-dealing-sword or destructive element to destroy something evil and thus achieve a good outcome. So to save 10,000 you cut down 1 person etc. Utilitaranism translated into a warrior code and possibly the product of rationalisation.
Anyway I feel I am begenning to suspect that I understand what old Yagyu was getting at. Recently a destructive and powerful element entered my workplace. One that was starting to tear the whole department apart.
If there was anything I learned from my own father though, is that if you leave a small problem and hope for the better it generally just gets bigger and everybody loses.
I watched my dad for years get out manouvered by a useless turd that had a penchant for networking, a reality of the workplace but not a good one. And to be fair my father wasn't destroyed he is for the most part seemingly indestructable, but the damage to things he valued including his workplace started to escalate out of his control and beyond even the point where he walked. His personal investment in what he had built got destroyed because he had believe the problem transparent to all.
And such problems are cancerous, we all in some way have a duty to those we care about and ourselves to act on a problem and 'strike at evil' in order to preserve good.
As a scalpal is a tool that cuts in order to save lives, so is every tool potentially a weapon of destruction or a life saving necessity.
A lot of my identity and values have been imparted to me by dad, I've also had pleny of space to develope my own unique persona but this gift of experience from my father has helped me come to terms with my own dual nature.
I used to style myself a player in high school, I got quite a malicious pleasure from triumphing politically and psychologically over other people. At the time it was my way of feeling in control over myself and what happened to me as a result of Dad's political situation at work.
Fortunately when I arrived t Honda, networking and psychological manipulations weren't really necessary at all, the management structure was entrenched and authoritive and largely benign.
I've discovered since the joy of being a team player and the ease of living in a win-win mentallity. And this is where I like to hang out and relax in my thinking.
But I am also at peace with the destructive nature of my personality being there in the background, it is a tool of use that I'd rather not use but is there, a death-dealing sword consisting of the tactics and insights of which my brain naturally gravitates that I have turned into something constructive.
So compelled by the problem in our midst and drawing from dads experience, I cut at the evil with as much skill and accuracy as my ability allows, and I'm still learning, I have only really begun to 'pick up the sword' without bloodlust.
But this is something I could not have done without significant contribution from the wisdom and experience of my father.

No comments: