Saturday, January 19, 2013

I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time..

I watched 1987's Robocop for the first time ever, and then rewatched Robocop 2. Back in the 80's a long movie was like 120 minutes, max.

I like it, there's a great economy back then, every minute on screen was useful. One story, the movie told one story. In this post-LOTR movie age, now it's just like 190 minutes is the new normal, and you can have a fucken old dwarf just tell a pointless story about a pointless war to give backstory to a character that performs very little function if any. Fuckloads of exploitative or self indulgent scenes. I'm not saying mistakes or waste or compromise are bad, telling a story is hard, but I think for two decades now our answer to every problem has just been 'more' even though the success stories are always 'better'.

and now in the interest of not being hypocritical, it's over.

No comments: