Sunday, December 23, 2012

it's tricky

You know I remember when I drew this picture of Musashi, and I finally felt like the linework was all my own, my own style. I had finally developed it, and it just came lazily. But in all the drawings I have done for or since, I've never really resolved the way I draw faces, things like eyes, every picture I draw I just make up the 'rule' as I go for that picture.

Christmas gave me a brief respite from actual commitments to just sit at home and draw today, and boy I just went fucking crazy. But I figured it would be a good chance to work through studies of Dave Crosland aka King Gum and figure out how he does eyes, facial features etc. Only when I consciously looked for it, there was no real hard and fast rule.

I'm about to embark on my first major comic project in 2 years, and it's looking like the artwork will be hugely flexible, as in inconsistent. I don't know if it will work, here's hoping. 

No comments: