Friday, May 16, 2008

Self Referential Stupidity

'And for our American passengers rest assured you are certainly talking too loud' something to this effect as a prank announcement got an English public transport official fired. This statement though is ironic. Of all the various people of various places I have come across in different places all over the world, the English have been by far the most intrusive, loud, crass and impolite I have come across.
To take an example yesterday while waiting to clear Boston customs, I was stuck in front of an elderly British couple who aggressively complained the whole 30 minutes it took to work my way to the front of the queue. Classic comments were 'why can't I have my own form' response 'because they are wankers' and such. If only the English could experience their own customs process in Heathrow, where the customs official grilled me over my 5 day stay asking questions they had no intention of verafying or disproving, or even pursuing. They just gave me a hard time.
By comparison in the US (or Boston customs at least) there was a list of pledges to reinforce the staffs friendliness, and they were. The police pulled me up and checked my story and because I was Australian, had me go through an agricultural check despite not having been in Oz for almost 8 months now. But even then the whole process was friendly, efficient and polite, maybe its good to be white I don't know but it was in all an experience that left a much better impression than disembarking in Heathrow. I think a lot can be said of Melbourne customs because the drug sniffing dogs are so cute but even their they have no pledge to be friendly and welcoming.
Anyway I spent virtually no time actually in England, although transferring from Airports on the outskirts of London cost almost as much as my flights to Scotland and took longer than the flights themselves by 30 minutes each way.
But I did watch a lot of BBC and also one customarily rates the local talent wherever they are (its been a long time since I saw two attractive people on the same street) Scotland is great, one would say in Scotland that it is Brilliant, albeit I don't know how the scots manage to live past 40. But they are under England, having a First Minister instead of Prime Minister, like a state Premier, and their Prime Minister is Gordon Brown.
But the one thing I noticed most from British Media, being Television, news print and the top selling books in their Airport branches of Borders and WSmith, is that they are, for the most part pretty stupid. As in ten times worse than the Herald Sun's obsession with Collingwood, and Collingwood supporters. Britains whole Class system is stupid, it is reinforced stupidity, deeply engrained and now observed safely from the outside, a legacy I am glad to not be a part of.
Examples include housing prices in England being so prohibitively expensive that the resulting poverty is 40% of London children grow up in poverty. And furthermore, they love themselves, they tip well over Tim Friedman's 'memories to dreams' ratio in their constant celebration of how great they were back when they held the Raj and the world superpowers were England and France.
But I know back in the day when people got invaded, their became a need for some strong family to dedicate their lives to living in a castle and beating up anyone who infringed on the community, and thus they ended up later becoming the lords of their respective lands, and thus 'landlords' and then a class system was defined and whilst the landlords enjoyed the shortterm riches of living in a cold stone castle as opposed to dirt they ignored a long term view of community development and thus made the lower class stupid through self preferencial policy while they were being stupid themselves.
Add 1000 or 2000 years to the situation where you arrive at the present day where from reading the papers and seeing that Gordon Brown seems to have fucked things up economically speaking and the whole system seems to be on the brink of collapse and the alternative choice is the Tories and its hard to see who the fuck anyone should vote for over their.
I was introduced to a term 'Nej' I think it was which supposedly stands for 'Non-Educated Juveniles' apparantly a big problem over there. I also saw a news report on a device called the mosquito that exploits age related deafness to emit a sound that makes young people feel sick, and thus is being sold as a box to drive youngpeople out of areas as similar to the futurama 'Non Like it Hot' solution to Climate change made famous by Al Gore, solves the problem of Nejs 'once and for all' by simply driving them away to somewhere else through blatent age discrimination.
But I kind of agree, the investment opportunity of giving these youths a decent education and actual attractive prospects in life has been missed, missed so thoroughly in fact that I would hesitate to let them inherit the earth.
But at the same time it is a situation that is stupid, thoroughly, like watching somebody distrust their own feet, shoot themselves in their own feet and THEN ponder how they are going to walk to the bus station.
Thus my brief experience by proxy of the loud, crass, 'overweight, celebrity and sex obsessed' British to quote the new rough guide to england was the cherry on the top of my icecream of 'capatalism is stupid' revelation as I have travelled the world.
But the biggest eye opener was how much snide pleasure is derived in British media for talking themselves up as the real sophisticats in the 'partnership' of Britian and America when each of their striking points (loudness, crassness, uncoothness, overweightedness etc) seems to be not negligable traits of the English themselves. Infact if I had to pick words to briefly describe the Poms I came across those would probably be them, and nothing in my experience really contradicts this.
So there record straight, I admire england for its contributions and achievements to culture and science that are infact real, but man the society they have going there is worth slamming and slamming hard.

No comments: