Thursday, May 08, 2008

Congratulations Kobe

There are sometimes when I can look at a person and see what is going on. Kobe had 3 championship rings on his finger before I finished my University Degree, then Shaq got traded and the lakers franchise plummetted.
A year ago Kobe only won 1 game against the pheonix suns in his playoff run, and somehow I knew that where other teams (like the Boston Celtics) needed a lot to become contenders, Kobe only needed a little.
Similarly in the same Championship run, Lebron managed to singlehandedly push past the pistons and get to the finals where he was rolled and I thought, Lebron is not going to make it for many a year. Infact hen I look at Lebron my feeling is that already stars like CP3 are coming up to make him a historical footnote, somewhere firmly below Stockton, Malone and Barkley as great players to never win championships.
It was the same watching Clemant in the Australian Open that year when he was defending against Game point in the third set and went on to win it. I could see that what was going on was that Clement was getting it wrong and he just had to decide to win, not that the other guy was getting it right.
So I expect Kobe to walk home with a ring to accompany his new MVP trophy and the real championship series will be when he goes up against New Orleans next week. Not whoever he faces from the east, although the Celtics will be formidable except after Atlanta Hawks pushed them to 7 games you never know.

No comments: