Monday, May 19, 2008

Ribcount

I know I have lost weight, I don't know how much. Anna commented, and thankfully her comments did not include 'you look great' with the implicit insult that I don't normally or haven't been looking great at some other point.
Infact, 'great' for my should always imply that I look like I could crush my enemies, rather than looking great as in beautiful.
Vicky who hasn't seen me much since highschool when I used to eat hotdogs or pasta with cheese for breakfast, run at least 6km a day and weighed a whopping 63kg merely commented that 'I still haven't put on any weight' little did she know that I was carrying an extra 10 or so kg just 2 months ago.
I caught fat off Brenton in Tokyo. In Toyota I was running an 18km circuit around Toyota city stadium and back out to the Taki's. I was in the best shape of my life aerobically, and somehow landing in the Akasaka district I just ended up eating really crap and went back up to 78kg, for my triumphant return to Miki in Takamatsu who when I told her I had lost weight but put it back on again kept remarking 'where's the proof? I can see in your face it is much fatter' and that was my last reliable weighing. The most recent unreliable weigh in was 64kg which is too light for me to believe. So I go by other indicators.
The first one I was using was whether I could wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist, then that I could wrap thumb and ringfinger around my wrist. The third measure was when I discovered that I could see three ribs on each side when I am lucky enough to stay in a place with a bathroom and a mirror.
The worrying thing is that I more or less stopped exercising three weeks ago and since then I have been eating in both Scotland and USA not the healthy eating capitals of the world. But it seems that I can't reverse the trend. I guess it did take me a long time to get fat and unhealthy in college, but I'm well past (I assume) the point I was going to cut off on my BMI back when I was a gym member at work. Fortuitously gym was much less effective at weight loss than the ordeal of travelling.

No comments: