Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Daily Disciplines Reviewed

So here's how it's going,

Running: 4k is a struggle I still don't think I'm up to the 8k magic barrier but I am managing to do it most days, it was only really a problem in Osaka when staying at the capsule hotel, as it made changing a pain in the arse, adding an additional change to my day was in retrospect not worth the benifit of running around Osaka's busy streets and seemingly non existent parks.
But every morning I wake up and go for a run now. Including the dreaded sprint session, which when you say I'll do 10 sprints that's 1k roughly, and I'll be sprinting them so it'll take me, 140 seconds, which is 2 and a half minutes...well that's wrong, sprinting takes just about the longest to do.

Zazen: This is the hardest, and I let it slide for about half a week, and haven't done it today, which means really I should incorporate it into my running, something I also haven't done today. today is a day off. I decided it. Anyway as much as this is the hardest one, I think I definitely overthink, a dangerous thing to do when travelling because it can detract from actual experiencing, which is the point.
I have real trouble not thinking. I want to add it to my reportoire though because like a good musician, the music isn't just in the notes being played, but the beats when nothing is being ploayed, the placements of the rests. I do think already I'm getting better at recognizing when not to think, such as in a park or on a train, or while running. But still, I got a long way to go on this one.

Active Listening: This has been the easiest, as I'm naturally falling into this pattern trying to listen to what is being said to me, and scanning peoples facial expressions for clues, however whether this will result in my laxing back into lax ways when around my native tongue again I don't know, also my ability to understand is somewhat questionable, but I am in a more questioning state of mind, asking more people for feedback and such in my own channells kind of ways. anyhoo, the other side I guess, is I'm probably lax in asking the questions of myself of what questions I should be asking. To be fair I don't really know how to active listen, but I think I'm doing it every day.

No comments: