Thursday, November 15, 2007

散歩する

I've been getting aroudn on foot for most of my time here. The benifits are many, not only do I believe that the only three means of transport for one to truly get their bearings are foot, running or on a bike but it also burns energy allowing me to keep trim.
The downside is that after 8 hours or so of meandering around a foreign city, though I may have a profound knowledge of my surroundings my feet sometimes ache. One time I got back to my hotel thinking my little tow nail was causing grief by digging into the next one along only to discover a blister the size of my little toe coming of of it. I'm no pussy when it comes to tolerating a little pain for the greater good though, and I'm not going to throw down for taxi's especially when I often have no idea where I'm actually going.
What I do know is that not all bike's are born equal. Recently a philanthropic neighbour gave me a bike. And its a donkey, an absolute fucking donkey. It must weigh roughly my weight again. Has three gears, a step through frame, an alternator in its front hub and a seat that is in essence a throw pillow mounted on a stick.
But I appreciate it non-the-less.
It has allowed me to explore handa proper, and riding here is a cultural experience in and of itself. Right of way for bicycles is a very confusing affair and I regard myself as one of the safest riders in Japan.

On the plus side:
1. No need to wear helmets.
2. Bikes acknowledged with their own lane on pedestrian crossings.
3. People don't yell stuff at you just for riding a bike.
4. Nobody steals bikes in Japan (especially not mine)

On the down side:
1. AT any given time you may be faced with a rider heading directly into you on a busy narrow street.
2. Hook turns are precarious at best, having billboards take up all corner to corner visability.
3. An alternator light stops working when you stop moving.
4. Japanese traffic lights take approximately 1 half century to change.

but all up it is good to get on a bike again.
My hands have become lady soft in the interim month though some of the bigger callouses remain, looks like I gotta work my way back to man hands as well.

No comments: