Sunday, June 24, 2007

Peeping Tom once more with feeling

You know, I should catch myself in the midst of Passive-Aggressive behaviour. But that would probably make me a sociopath or something for which there is no cure.
What I should do is elaborate on Peeping Tom to do it justice.
But it should be known that I don't have much to offer Mike Patton, I just more for posterities sake want to compare the experience to visiting Ieyasu Tokugawa's tomb in Shizuoka. It was just something I wanted to do before I die, see this guy he appeals to me. I think when I do die, I don't want to be burned, as I'd rather not release carbon particles in the atmosphear and transfer most of my mass into heat energy that is then not really used by anyone.
I guess if someone wanted to crush my ashes into a diamond I wouldn't object, but I'd rather be buried under a rock, like takuan the Zen monk. It was very Zen, until someone put a fence around it. Similarly though Graham Kennedy one upped this by getting buried at see, no doubt so Bryce wouldn't make a shrine out of his grave/scattered ashes. Bryce has never discussed it with me, but I hope he doesn't want said location pinpointed so we can sink his corpse in the ocean.
Anyway though, my rock I wouldn't mind if it was like one of those ones you can sit on top of and observe nature.
In that way I imagine people could have a very personal experience, maybe sketch something down and if I ever achieve anything of note, interpretate it into something new.
That'd be nice.
Anyway Peeping tom... these posts do get away from me. I guess straight up Mike Patton is not a relic, he like Tom Jones just reinvents himself, whether by coopting black culture or whatever, he was dressed like 50 cent, I don't know if it was ironic or whatever, I'm not really sure whether it's worth talking about, because the music wasn't like 50 cent. SLAM magazine in an attempt to become the thinking teenager's basketball mag wrote a piece on subconscious discrimination in the L. And I guess that's what goes on when Mike wear's bling and skullcaps and bullet proof vests.
But to be honest I'm not sure what point he makes, but I assume he get's it. I don't think he'd particularly get singled out for 'coopting' black culture over say Eminem or the Beastie Boys. Maybe back in the day when Faith No More and Red Hot Chilli Peppers where incorporating rap he did.
But that be the beautiful thing, the composition of Peeping Tom I really like, I mean its propped up by Mike Patton, because if you took away his vocal interpretation of his lyrics it would probably cross the line of barely perceptable difference.
And yeah Rahzel was replaced with Butterscotch but I think that's what I liked about the line ups composition. All the members brought something, and Mike gave them exposure to show exactly who they were without him and they had to stand up on their own.
That's probably what resonated with me.
I like seeing talent sort of thrown together to see what they come up with. They were all singing off the same songsheet as far as I could tell, but I think the enjoyment of just playing their part comes through.
of all things Peeping Tom reminded me of 'Good To Great' where they highlight that one thing about companies that transition from having a place in a market to being a dominant champion all first made sure they had the right people 'on the bus' and the wrong people off it.
I think if anything that's what I want in some manifestation to create - just getting people together that can fight it out until you know they get past feeling compromised and end up with a collaboration.
If anything else listen to Peeping Tom to hear what a good business set up sounds like when its working.

No comments: