Monday, June 18, 2007

I have a dream...yeah...who cares...me neither

I read with interest, morley's postings on TV shows he likes, recently Sunday ABC started more or less running the programming he recommended, firmly cementing my opinion of morley in the low category. He ranks there with my brother in the long line of people who download too much stuff from the internet.
I'm guessing though that morley will never stoop so low as to download Boston Legal and tell me how great William Shatner is.
But he makes a good point, about TV in general. I mean TV is just a medium and I a bored guy struggle to put a distinct value on entertainment. But Australian, even the vast majority of American television programs fail to really put any intelligence into their construct.
Some day a future version of Doctor who might TARDIS his arse into 2007 to have a scene where he sits down with the plebs watching big brother laughing with raucos laughter, because thats just how plebs laugh.
Anyway I made morley's point badly to Bryce last night, that is already towing the ABC 'underfunded' line and I allowed myself to get sidetracked way off point.
But Bryce in his infinite wisdom hit a sweet note in the conversation talking about Walt Disney specifically something Walt Disney said 'I never dumb down my movies for children' or some such stuff, and you can see that about where the Disney movies just dropped off the radar, namely between the Lion King, a movie parents could barebly sit through to Pocahontus - a film children could barely sit through.
And its all very well for Walt to say that, sure from the guy who brought us all steamboat mickey.
But that's it, there aren't too many demanding shows produced in Australia, underfunded ABC aside, an intelligent script, with a good story arc and development I imagine costs just as much per episode as a dumbass script.
Even the 'economies of scale' population arguement, look at the quality of output from the Australian film industry vs New Zealand, your talking 'Crocodile Dundee' and 'Shine' vs 'The Piano' and 'Once Were Warriors' and 'Whale Rider' New Zealand seems to hold its own against Australia despite the utter trouncing we serve up to them come Olympic time.
Australia, indeed anywhere are definitely capable of producing good stuff, in fact national boundaries should mean less with the internet shrinking the planet everyday. We should be trying to compete in a global market in terms of output.
The original Doctor Who shows managed to do so much with what was the equivalent of $0 budget.

1 comment:

mr_john said...

Don't you be knocking William Shatner... His 2004 album, Has Been, was one of the best albums of 2004. And I say this without a hint of irony.