Monday, March 05, 2007

Outed

At the bottom of this post I have attached a newsletter I recieve every month from a faith group having just finished reading "Letter to a Christian Nation" I think I can't go back.
I was priveledged to have a chance in life to discover how wondrous the world around me is, I only had this chance because my father when he was 6-8 years old realised that religion was in essence all bullshit. When I was taught "Religious Education" in Primary school, of which any one of a religion other than Christianity was excused (at a Public School no less) I could never really get into prayer. When I prayed there was a distinct absence of anybody responding.
I was fortunately aware as too few are too late, that there was infact a choice, to accept or reject god. My parents said "do you believe in God?" you could choose or not choose. There was some confusion because my parents also wanted me to experience the magic of Santa and the tooth fairy but overall I would have spent almost in entirety 10 weeks believing in God.
But something else happens when you look at Intelligent Design, possibly the most significant advance in science for centuries, possibly bigger (shamefully so) than Einstein's theory of relativity. Because religion by imposing on the territory of scientific process invited science in like never before to have a look.
I'm not going to explain the far reaching implications of intelligent design suffice to say, on cursory observation points out how ridiculous and more to the point useless a belief in God - (amplified for belief in a specific god) is.
Therefore I wish you to know that I will afford no special respect for anyone's religious beliefs and practices, it's a waste of my time and energy and I find it personally offensive because of the impact it has on the world I wish to live in and reproduce and alleviate human sufferring.
If on the other hand you want to waste a lot of time and energy protecting a lot of suffering and misery that goes on in the world check out any of below (except earth hour it's an environmental cause and has nothing to do with multi-faith subsequently sounds pretty good):

Well, the March events have been pouring in – there are almost as many here as on the calendar! I hope you can attend something:

Yoga classes (Weeks beginning 7 Mar) Hindu
Short Course on the Song of Songs (13 Mar) Jewish
Women and Human Rights in South Asia (14 Mar) Peace
Jewish Holocaust Museum Public Lecture (14 and 21 Mar) Jewish
Workshop for Birthing Mother (15 Mar) Jewish
Black Harmony Gathering (17 Mar) Koori community
Workshop on Spirituality and Social Justice (17 Mar) Christian
Jews, Shoah and Genocide (18 Mar) Jewish
Pastoral Care Meeting (18 Mar) Muslim
World Meditation Hour (18 Mar) Brahma Kumaris
Continuing Education in Ministry (19 Mar) Christian
New Moon Gatherings for Women (19 Mar) Jewish
Birth of the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) (30 Mar) Interfaith
Nomination for the Young Muslim of the Year (30 Mar) Muslim
Earth Hour (31 Mar) Environmental Peace

No comments: