Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Strange and Beautiful

So all said and done apart from wonderful, delightful free meals throughout the week, the only actual physical, non perishable gift I got was from my sister in the form of lycra - and I can always use more lycra.

Anyway I probably, well definitely didn't help myself out by as usual answering the question 'what do you want for your birthday?' with no list of consumer durables to fill the void in my life.

Instead I answered 'I want to dance with a deaf girl.'

I wasn't trying to be funny or clever, I'm serious. It's an experience I want to have.

I want to do it because I think it would be strange and beautiful, think about it. We don't really understand why the brain enjoys music, and why furthermore when we hear music it reaches into the motor-functions of our brain and makes us want to move in sync with it.

Cut the hearing off, and what is dance - completely strange, the phenomena observed without music of somebody suddenly changing their motions for no apparant reason whatsoever. Don't think its strange watch this with your sound turned off:


with sound it all makes sense, without it it seems perverse.

But apparantly and here I reveal how little I have to do with the deaf or blind communities - blind people innately make hand gestures. Thus on some innate level people that have never heard music I suspect, understand it, enjoy it etc.

So I would like to guide somebody through the dance, through the motions of the music and see if they enjoy it (all consensual of course) and can connect with the music. I'm sure, deaf people go dancing all the time with their friends and shit, I'm sure in this day and age deaf people can do most things.

I just think it would be strange and beautiful, and thus I'd like to do it. One day.

Step one: learn how to say 'do you want to dance?' in Auslan.

No comments: