Thursday, July 16, 2009

The ever growing list of things I hate to draw

Numero fucking uno - Bicycles.

This is sad, because I love bicycles, but they are hard to fucking draw. On the weekend I was on 10k+ run with a friend and I said to her: 'no matter how many times I run a course, my mind just automatically forgets all the straights, so my perceptual distance of a run is always way shorter than the actual' or something to that effect.
Yet a bicycle something I see every day, from every concievable angle in every concievable model, is something that I spend more time looking at and when it comes to drawing them, my mind completely forgets how to put them together.
That makes drawing their profile hard, but put them on an angle, fucking forget it.
Originally doing fear of a white planet, I had planned on bikes being that societies major form of transportation. After page 3 I decided running would be the new number one.

El nombre twix - Bow and Arrow.

Fuck, I just could never get the perspective right on these, they always ended up totally and unforgivably fucked. The hands never lined up, the arrow jumps around the fingers it rests on, the string is being stretched at some odd tanget to the bow. They are just fucking impossible. I bet the first job DC comics ever gives me is drawing on 'The Green Arrow'.

Numerous diablos trios - Umbrellas.

This one I discovered tonight, and isn't restricted just to umbrella's. Also brollys and parasols. They are probably the next hardest 'sphere with straight lines' to construct as a toothpast tube, where one has to smoothly reconcile a spherical top with a flat line bottom. Try doing it, you'll never get a fresh tube of toothpaste to appear on your page. Shape so simple, yet, incomprehendable.
Anyway I'm sensible enough to not draw new tubes of toothpaste, but the umbrella. Aaaaargh, it fucking sucks. When I look at my creation it jars worse than anything I ever jarred before. Including numerous AFL marking disasters.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.

No comments: