Friday, March 27, 2009

The Other Game

It's hard to muster up the right word to describe last night. Somehow 'teabagging' springs to mind... yes, watching Carlton 'teabag' Richmond was just too delicious. The time for this groundhog to be scared of his own shadow is over.

It's time to be vulnerable, I'm going to actually support Carlton this year. Sport is the one domain where I feel I can safely support an ideology that has a defined 'in-group' and 'out-group' in what is a purely human construct.

Put simply, while I have extreme difficulty calling myself Australian and even offering the most meagre, symbolic support (like taking off Anzac day) I have no problem plling on an ill-fitting Carlton jumper and hating Collingwood with all my heart.

Except after taking savage beatings in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007 I had eventually learnt not to get involved emotionally. Dabbling only in the rare win against an old rival like Essendon.

But as such in the offerings of this blog it means I haven't used AFL for the rich analogy farm it should be and have opted for Basketball (also because on average something like 3 pro games are played per day and it's just a larger sample, though by no means as mature a sport as AFL) so embrace yourselves for more football as it relates to sport/philosophy/business/everything.

This year, I'm coming.

No comments: