Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Journal Entry of the former Master Race Day 1

I've been looking forward to this day. But I find having arrived in this Obama as President Elect (and I guess now he has to live until inauguration day)world I am filled with questions.

First and foremost I am reserved as to whether Obama will represent any change for the better beyond what has already been realised. Will he just be another useless ringpiece like Rudd? Will all his lofty emotive and eloquent talk be mere rhetoric or will it be followed through with genuine compassionate reform?

Which leads to an if question. If like Rudd his election is more the result of voting the right out than voting the left in does the electorate even know what it wants him to do? This is dangerous because I'm now pretty sure that Rudd's one piece of legitimate policy was to follow through on things that didn't cost anything at all namely signing Kyoto and apologising for the stolen generation.

After that it seems Rudd turned around and asked for advice from his sponsors. Will Obama do the same? The record amounts of money that poured in after it became clear he was going to win being more significant than the torrents of small donations from voters to his campaign in the primary. Will he ask the big cheque writing Johnny come lately what they want from him or will he ask 'the people' who sent him $50 over the internet what they want?

Lastly I recall my most anti-american phase of life was my angsty teenage years. This was when Bill Clinton ran the show and I fucking HATED US foreign policy. Bush coming to power actually made me dislike America less, because the circle of priveledge retracted from a country that styled itself king of the world to a small circle of elites in the Cheney circle that fucked over the US and the world.

But I do believe now that change is possible, I am inspired by Obama's parochial success in his small corner of the world that my dreams of world conquest are indeed possible.

Now I just need to assemble my ninja army.

No comments: