Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Greatest achievement to date

Due to my new boss being a ringpiece, the importance of establishing a safe secure and meaningful feedback method for management escalated.
So I've been between calls researching things like 360 degree management on www.businessballs.com and reading. The article I found had some interesting side notes on feedback under age discrimination. That the respondent should be aware that feedback like 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' or 'his youth lacks experience' are ageist and illegal to actually say about someone.
Good news for me as I'm sure I'm starting to cop the 'acting above my age' in that I should be a doting young employee that gets told how to think for another 8 years or so. But more important was the acknowledgement of the fallacy that is 'you cant teach an old dog new tricks' by far the biggest challange any manager faces is that they have stopped developing. They are set in their ways, know their strengths and have a style that has paid off to a certain point. They are happy to muck around with formulas to see if they can succeed and maybe land the next step up but generally their method is beyond reproach.
I hope when I'm 50 or so to still be getting at least 2 hours of productive training a week to make myself more versatile and adaptable to whatever new environs I'm in.
So its obvious a young person has stuff to learn but someone relatively older than me it becomes less obvious, they may percieve their 'potential' to be filled but potential is unlimited.
Previously my greatest achievement was with Andy & Jerry & Co at Uni managing to build that relationship, build their confidence and make them believe. That took about 2 years.
Now in my job interview for Honda, I was given the interviewers' (which consisted of various managers) impressions of the people in the team, one of them was 'so and so can't think outside the box' and 'very stuck in their ways' and I thought 'we'll they have that person pegged to the wall' which isn't to say they didn't value the person, their work ethic and reliability has throughout my tenure at Honda been second to none.
But after time I realised that there was something to her complaints she was just poor at complaining, and that for all this persons complaints about not being listened to where ironically not being listened to or acted on.
Her mannarisms and behaviour were so predictable that the power in the relationship was being abused and she was expected to take whatever shit got shovelled in her direction. Not that it was deliberately malicious, it was everyone's joint habitual effort.
But certain behaviour was missed, or her leadership abilities that manifested in other activities and lunchroom discussions wasn't transplanted to our play at work.
I didn't do the hard work, nor had the know how but I asked the question and invited her to the grown ups table. And Rod the trainer gave her room to move, listened, gave some guidance, put things in perspective and she took up the challenge.
And then after a week of nothing, I saw her lay out a plan and delegate and all the other skills expected of a leader to some of our newbies and I almost cried. Because it was such a sound piece of management it needed no reinforcement.
It didn't even need prompting, it was such a joy for me to overhear I sat in silence just feeling like my investment had paid off 3000% such a short time, so simple and I guess Rod deserves most of the credit for making it happen but its power is not lost on me. I feel I've done something for simply just wanting it to happen.
It may not result in any recognition (though I'll try to ensure that it does) or a pay rise, a convertable car or anything else for her, but I think that if it can be sustained, will do so much for job satisfaction, dignity and esteem that most of the rewards are nigh on being reaped already.
And I thought it would be so hard, it would have so much resistence I wouldn't have thought for such an early payload but it has. So that is my greatest achievement to date.

No comments: