Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Great Feedback

The feedback continues to come in - this time from a philosopher:

Ok, here's what I got: you sometimes express yourself a little
dogmatically. On
quite complicated and controversial topics, for instance, you sometimes say
stuff like every right-thinking person agrees with you, when in fact the
consensus opinion might be quite far off. That isn't to say that you're wrong
about these things, just that your way of expressing them doesn't always come
with the appropriate level of epistemic humility. That's something I've found
annoying in the past.

While we're on epistemic humility: very relatedly, as I recall, you sometimes
tell people what their problems are like you are in a special position
to know,
when there is no obvious reason why that should be. Again, doesn't
mean you're
wrong, only that you should be a little more cautious coming to such
conclusive
opinions, and expressing them.


There is definitively a theme emerging I think, and my best course of action short term is to simply shut up, until I can learn how to listen and speak. I think the 'let right be right' is on track but its also great to get feedback because no matter how many times you read it you still learn something every time.

I must remind myself of the words of Mark Twain - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." but alas I am a fool, it doesn't seem too productive to be ashamed of it.

I wish I had these feedback people on hand to help me correct the behaviour...

No comments: