Monday, April 14, 2008

My Mind as a Blue Print

For some reason whilst riding a train out of the Czech Republic...infact I think I have made the tenuous memetic connection, the Czech countryside is in various states of disrepair, I was remembering the last time I had felt that way which was a tour of a shoe factory that operates in Ballarat and how I (and vocally expressed by Brenton) had been motivated not to work in a factory by the experience, thats where the feeling stopped but I remember talking to my dad that night and commenting on the factory and him feeding back how observant I was about the factory conditions...I thought for the first time ever what my dad's profession and subsequently training in Engineering had had on the development of my mind.
I realised that it must have been profound, or maybe our inherent genetic mapping left our minds geared up for engineering, but I realised I evaluate everything in terms of mechanics.
For example, things are either useful or useless. Functionality occupies the highest cadre in my mind and functional efficiency is more or less how I evaluate everything.
More so I felt this was a reflection of one skill my former boss had that I would really like to have developed, that was he instructed through questions, or maybe more appropriately directed through questions...then the training guy at work mentioned that my boss's dad was a teacher and I did know he had studied the field of science.
But engineering is only questions in the profession of questioning the necessity of stuff, and otherwise its answers to problems. And I felt reassured that it was more a question of approach. My dad if he possesses one fault above all others is that he doesn't ask for help, nor rarely admits defeat.
This is something I've had to learn, but the habit has been passed on.
Hence the Trainer who was good at NLP which also creepily popped up when wondering what effect/impact Chomsky's expertise in linguistics could have passed on to his ability to construct almost perfect arguements, same same with Dawkins.
So here's something I think may explain a bit about myself, give me something to do and I will map it and redesign it, as a matter of course. And usually this results in me expending less effort. That's my approach, to everything. And while I may profess to no universal truths or answers, my behaviour doesn't reinforce this, I only generally accept modes of operation that work the same way every time.
For example, what is good for business is good in government, or else rejected. Therefore totalitarian style business I won't accept as good, because government exercises generally have proved it is bad.
Same same for perhaps how I responded to Georgism, I looked for the mathematical law that held it true in other forms, an example is that if Land Tax or Resource Rentals were applied I would observe it would operate on the same logic as the Labor market, that is an employee costs you money whether they are productive or not, so businesses tend to try and make employees and use them as productive as possible, this would be true of a land tax, therefore it is consistent with my world view that is that things should be as consistent as machinery.
The funny thing is, I can't remember my dad imparting these 'engineering' values like teaching us Asimov's three laws of robotics, but maybe that's not necessary, maybe its just about observed behaviour and other queus and quirks.
But take for example any accessory in the world and I will immediately evaluate it in terms of functionality, and my uncanny ability to look at something in a museum and guess what it is used for, which frustrated Chie no end.
But that's the way my mind works, on a threshold of functionality. Even with art evaluations it has to 'say something' and then I would value it in terms of its efficiency in doing that.
But enough about me...

No comments: