Saturday, January 20, 2007

True Cost Economics

I's been almost two months since I touched KFC, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks or the Jehovah Witness' owned Red Rooster no tax paying expensive mother fuckin bastards. This was helped along by true cost economics and I find though I gained weight over the christmass break my financial position has much improved.
I hit that age bracket where I have to start paying my own health insurance. You see I used to enjoy KFC because they did nothing wrong. I hate the fact though that not only are they roughly $3 more expensive than their competitors they probably have the highest true cost as well.
Roughly every take away meal you have has a hidden cost of $2.75 in health damage that has to be paid off later. My first year lecturer used to boast how McDonalds offered better value than the Hare Krishna's but it's patently untrue.
Anyway I was getting out of the shower yesterday and I didn't want to get my wet feet on the floor yet I couldn't reach my towell because the shower door was in the way. So in order to prevent the minor inconvenience of wet foot prints on the floor I swung the shower door closed and cut my ankle in the process. This required dettol and left bloody footprints all over the bathroom floor. In terms of cost the wet footprint was much cheaper than the seven bloody foot prints I left.
Example the third - I was at the supermaket getting a phone recharge where I ended up buying a $49 dollar phone cap instead of a $50 one and I hate to sound like a baby boomer but got ripped off. the $49 one encourages me to use my phone much more in fact with reckless abandon and in 30 days to get full value for money whereas if I pay a dollar more I get three months to use $50 carefully, which I usually do quite easily.
Anyway this mother fucker in stubbies and blundstones interrupted a busy cashier and asked her to call the supervisor off of break. the conversation followed like this

Arsehole (AH): Where have you been.
Coles Employee (CE): Oh I was on my break how can I help you?
AH: Have a look at this what do you call this?
(AH shows CE his docket)
AH: $1.99 and this is $1.49
CE: Okay it's been keyed in incorrectly.
AH: Too right it has, where do you train your staff.
CE: I'll process a refund for you.
AH: You better crack out the carrot juice huh.
(AH proceeds to laugh at his own brilliance)
AH: So their eyes can read better.

50c fucking 50c is a cheap price for the etertainment of pulling someone in a shitty job out of their break, gettng to insult the staff and have people bow and scrape to your irrational point of view.
Any given cashier at a supermarket probably processes at least 100+ items a day, if their error margin is 1% I don't think this is anything to go fucking reprimanding anyone over. Further more if the proposed system to fix costly mistakes like this is to have the staff carefully read the price on every item then the lost profits from inconveniencing every single fucking person who ever shops their does not outweigh it.
If I owned coles and was faced with that customer who no doubt thinks
A) 50c is a lot of money
B) I have nothing better to do with my time than read my reciepts
I would simply ask him never to shop at any Coles Myer group outlets ever again.

I guess lastly something that has always surprised me is that as much as most people tunr their nose up at the prospect of working in a call centre I could never push myself into the depravity that is a retail job.
"The customer is always right" is a profit maximising statement, an ironic witticism if you will and not a moral code yet it has been etched into gospel faster than any other phrase out there.
I continually see people riding around on these high horses about how they fucking ruined someones day over an inconsequential amount of money weather they had a rational or irrational claim to it or not.
Agnus Skinner's request to the bag boy at her supermarket emphasises the attitude that when one is a paying customer they become an entity beyond moral reproach.
'I want all my groceries in one bag, but I want that bag not to be heavy.'
Maybe international - be nice to a retail employee day will catch on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you have private health insurance? Ahahaha. Fag.

I have only read the first 3 lines of this post. I'm sure I'll read the rest when I'm sober.