Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Creativity?

For a couple of days I’ve been lacking inspiration. I’m back at uni that’s reassuring but dull. Phenomonouly dull and I don’t want to just rehash my lectures you know like a free education or something. So lacking inspiration I thought I’d do something incredibly dull and talk about creativity.
I don’t think I’m terribly creative as in inspiration doesn’t come to me magically from outer space and pops into my head and I create a paperclip that can hold together a phone book etc.
I just sit around and watch a lot of tv, dvds and read a lot of books then borrow other peoples ideas and putting them together in a way that is hopefully not recognisable to anyone in the audience who then calls me a hack.
Even with the painting there’s Freudian symbols and geometry that you can through together to create an ‘inspired’ composition. Clocks, sun + moon, trains, giraffes, musical instruments, waterfalls, cacti, seagulls, circles, triangles, parralalograms, rombusus etc. they’re all good just chuck them in a desert or some kind of landscape and viola you have a surrealist composition.
So if inspiration isn’t Devine where’s it fucking come from? My marketing lecturer said that it can be taught and as far as I can discern he’s right. It tends to be something that is either encouraged or discouraged and that has more to do with the way parent’s dress than a childs actual ability in pursuits creative.
The fundamental origin of all creative pursuits are ‘why?’ the question, I love Yoko Ono even though most people don’t because they blame her for something to do with the beatles being ugly I guess, anyway I love the story of how she walked into a room one time and tried to sit in every possible way you could on a chair whether it was lying between the legs or on her stomach across the seat or sitting on the back until she finally conceded that sitting on the seat of the chair facing forwards was the most comfortable way to sit on a chair. I mean it would have been a miracle if she discovered we all could be much more comfortable.
Mercedes invented their world class suspension by having an engineer ask why a circle was used as the basic shape and not a square. The answer is obvious really you’d get a really bumby ride so the engineer then created a suspension system that countered this and they started using it on all their cars.
Why is democracy good? Why do men have short hair and women have long hair? Why do women give birth lying on their back? Why are people with high pitched voices so annoying?
It does work it’s the difference between the kid that colours the sky in blue because the sky is blue and the kid that draws the sky purple because they ask ‘why is the sky blue? What would it be like if it was purple?’ like Billy Madison’s explanation ‘I drew a blue duck because, I’ve never seen a blue duck and I wanted to see a blue duck.’ If only you did need to make that revelation to pass the second grade but yet we encourage the belief that some people are creative and others aren't.
Left handed people are liars and worthy of distrust.

No comments: