Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Rumi

It was an idea that crept up on me, perhaps inevitably. I mean of course inevitably. We live in a deterministic universe.

But by creep up, I mean I'm not sure where the idea came from. The ideas is, that being a sage is actually a viable thing to do with one's life. I don't know what it is, to be a sage, I'm just thinking that waking up and trying to attain a state of being day in day out is legit.

Perhaps it came from my exercise regime, or just quitting shit this year, or listening to Sam Harris talk about athiest's being too dismissive of spiritual practices, or Nassim Taleb pointing out that just because we don't understand why something works doesn't mean it doesn't work - or rather his synopsis of Nietzsche warning me not to confuse the unintelligible from the unintelligent... or some shit. I don't know.

It befuddles my mind. Why waste time trying to determine the determinants? it's done.

I found Rumi as a quote in an artist blog post about all the quotes they put in their visual diaries. The exact quote was this:

"What you seek is seeking you." - Rumi.

I found it a very comforting thought, something compells me to believe it is true. But as is the case when you have the hunger. I sought more. I had assumed because of the brevity and lack of consonant clusters that Rumi would be some Japanese artist or author. But no, he was a 13th century Persian poet. Ah, Persia is there nothing it can't do?

I would hope my blogging activities and other conduct have established my deep love of dead presidents, the ones that could actually make speeches. I remember when I first went and read those speeches on wikiquote in the idle hours I spent in Takamatsu waiting for the few brief windows in a day that I could spend time with Miki. They really moved me, Rumi's words move me in a different way.

Consider:

"If you are irritated by every rub,how will your mirror be polished?"

That's it. That is it. There is something there. That some people just get, because it is unintelligible, inarticulate but it is most definitely there. It's a place I can put my mind but it becomes disoriented and confused and irritable, yet when I don't try sometimes I feel it. And that's all it is, a feeling. But people like Rumi and probably Yagyu Sekishusai and others have felt it and they can talk around it but not describe it.

Something Rumi himself seemed to observe and comment upon:

"The men of God are like fishes in the ocean; they pop up into view on the surface here and there and everywhere, as they please."

and I'm particularly inclined to listen to Rumi because like most people I listen to, they affirm shit I really struggled to grasp myself. Like a this:

"Many of the faults you see in others, dear reader, are your own nature reflected in them."

A powerful epiphany and piece of psycho-analysis that I'm personally surprised to learn goes back to the 13th century. Makes it strange it took me so long to get onto Gabor Mate's stuff.

Or:

If you wish mercy, show mercy to the weak.

If you dig a pit for others to fall into, you will fall into it yourself.

The lion who breaks the enemy's ranks is a minor hero compared to the lion who overcomes himself.

I could cherry pick all day, but just look him up yourself. So finally, on the theme of my life, if not yours (I dunno):

If you are wholly perplexed and in straits, have patience, for patience is the key to joy.


No comments: