Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lefty

To my considerable advantage, I was born left handed. Sure they never had hockey sticks for me, but this spared me from what is otherwise a 'once in four years' attention getting sport, and only fleetingly at that.

But being left handed means one important thing: you learn from a very early age that you are not normal. Trying to be normal resulted in my signing my name 'mot' all the time because I was simply inverting the writing instruction I was recieving to left hand mode. It was only later I was told to write 'left-to-right' but just use my left hand to do it.

A right handed kid though, doesn't hit this obstacle at all, they just coast straight through the writing lesson and are far more susceptible to the delusion that they are normal.

Being left handed is not like being black, because if you are black in Kenya, you are normal. The left-handed diaspora doesn't even have a controversial state to fund from their New York apartments. Left handers are 1 in 10 people no matter where you go on earth (except for some reason the creative departments of advertising agencies).

Left handers will always be a minority. So the notion of 'normal' just cant stick to a left hander. Furthermore there is no point really trying to be normal. In this modern day and age I am sure as soon as laptops get light enough, the private primary schools will introduce them, or Julia Gillard will provide them to public primary schools as a smokescreen to disguise the fact that crappy education has more to do with crappy teachers than lack of technology.

Since handwriting was the number one reason to go righty if you are a lefty, this is a thing of the past. And Asian writing systems (namely Chinese and Japanese) go top-to-bottom, working right to left so fuck that.

No comments: