Monday, November 24, 2008

Waste is a requirement for Choice

I picked up 'The Pin Stripe Prison' a book I plan to buy and read in detail. Anyway it had a short section that was a very efficient summary of something I thought about for years. It was in relation to ENTER scores -

Medicine and Law are for winners. Dentistry, Actuarial Studies, Psychiatry etc. are consolation prizes to Law and Medicine. These are students who played the blood sport of exams and won. If you have the marks you shouldn't waste them on a lesser subject.
This is the hockey logic of wasting ENTER scores it is akin to saying 'Why fly economy to Tahiti when you have enough frequent flyer points to fly first class to Kazykstan?' never minding whether you find Tahiti a preferable destination.

It's true, I wasted about 7 ENTER marks getting into my course of study. I can't claim it was a conscious decision, I didn't know what my ENTER would be when i decided it and failed to change my preferences later. Fortunately this resulted in me studying something I wanted to study.
It cost me living where I wanted to live too, but as it turns out I wouldn't have wanted to live there. Convenient how when your forced to behave some way your attitude shifts.

No comments: