Sunday, November 23, 2008

Liberating Tragedies

In perusing stuff yesterday I picked up PostSecret.

I firmly believe that 'the ideal family' does not exist in reality. Nor should it. Diversity and choice is a virtue, not uniformity and stability.

Bad shit happens, often under circumstances we have no control over, whether it be genes, family or mere circumstance. Often bad shit happens for no reason at all.

And then there's the abundance of bad shit people do, a surprising amount about getting married for the wrong reasons, fear, envy etc.

I think there's two messages in the book. There's an unbelievable number of people that never seek help or even disclose their problems such as the 'I'm homeless and nobody not even my family knows' but also that if it has happened to you, its also probably happened to a lot of people.

You're not alone.

No comments: